Demolition (Channel 4) - Vote for a horrid Sheffield Building

How can they enforce this? Surely the owners of the building will tell channel 4 to ***k off...

Its got to be a disused building i believe.

Originally posted by scottf

Its got to be a disused building i believe.

How about one that's yet to be used? Like that hotel?

Originally posted by unners

Originally posted by gemma86

I agree about Roxy and the Odeon.

Kingdom nightclub with it's red and mirrored fronting.

The office block outside the train station, which is blue. It looks emtpy but its looks like a security/receptionist stays on the front still. And the old uni building next to it - at least they've half covered that up with what they're dreaming of for the station :rolleyes:

And I'm sure there's loads more...

These two are going to be demolished shortly anyway.

Which two?

My vote would also be for the new hotel being built between the peace gardens & winter gardens. Sheffield doesn't need another and its a bloody stupid place to put one.

Originally posted by sanman

Sheffield doesn't need another and its a bloody stupid place to put one.

Yes it does, and no it isn't.

sheffield has the least amount of hotel beds per head of every city in the country i read in the star a while ago, it does need lots more hotels!!!!!

Originally posted by Tony

Redvers House was a genuinely good looking building with some great detailing - that unfortunately had not been maintained properly.

It's gone from being a little gem to going on my Demolition list!

Agree tony, now it is just another faceless block to join in with the rest of them that are being built in St' Pauls place, etc. Now the old education building has had some of the parts pulled down, I looked at what they did and they have pulled some good carvings down on the Leopold street side to make a new enterance which will no doubt be another faceless thing.

Originally posted by nightrider

How can they enforce this? Surely the owners of the building will tell channel 4 to ***k off...

I believe it is in association with RIBA Royal Institue of British Architects, who have brought in something called X-listing, can't remember the full details on it but they can knock down what they want almost with it.

sheffield has the least amount of hotel beds per head of every city in the country i read in the star a while ago, it does need lots more hotels!!!!!

What sort of measurement is that to denote the requirement for hotels. Surely it should be the amount of visitors to Sheffield as these are the most likely to stay in the hotels. I would have thought that Sheffield has more hotels now than it ever has had in the past.

To build a new one between the Peace Gardens & Winter Gardens is ludicrous as it will spoil the look of both. Why on earth build a huge green house and then block all the light on one side by building a hotel about 20 feet away.

The hotel is not blocking anymore light than the (much taller and wider) town hall was already, if you go in the Winter Gardens in the daytime it is still just as bright as it was before the hotel was built. If the amount of light had dropped signifficantly then the plants would be looking a bit starved, but they arn't.

Originally posted by duffman

I believe it is in association with RIBA Royal Institue of British Architects, who have brought in something called X-listing, can't remember the full details on it but they can knock down what they want almost with it.

even my house?!