Demolition (Channel 4) - Vote for a horrid Sheffield Building

Guest unners
Originally posted by nick2

Exactly, we should celebrate it's functionallity.

May be they should use Gas Lamps to light it,now that would be ironic!

You can't realy vote for the hotel next to the winter gardens as you haven't actually seen it yet, it might be fantastic, you never know.

Who says I can't? OK, can I vote that they knock down what's there already, then hopefully they won't be able to build the rest.

For all I know the Hotel might be fantastic, but even so it'll only be a fantastic hotel. I've stayed in some of the best around (St Martin's Lane & The Sanderson in London, to name just two) and I can tell you for certain it won't be anything like as good as them; even if it was, it's still badly positioned on a piece of land which would be far better used as open space.

Originally posted by DanSumption

I've stayed in some of the best around (St Martin's Lane & The Sanderson in London, to name just two) and I can tell you for certain it won't be anything like as good as them

a) they are 4* London hotels

b) they are not the best in London

c) why are you comparing them to a hotel in Sheffield ?

thats like saying "I have been to the British Museum and Weston Park is never going to be that good".

Originally posted by Kristian

I vote for Hyde Park! :clap:

Before anyone else points this out, I realise the building is listed! It's just on my personal wish-list!

K x

I didn't know Hyde Park was registered :?. Are you sure you don't mean Park Hill ;)

thats like saying "I have been to the British Museum and Weston Park is never going to be that good".

Hehe, the best hotels don't usually bother with star ratings - it's far too shabby to have customers thinking that you might be compared to something owned by a chain.

;)

Theres a particularly disgusting building on Bramall Lane - smells quite badly too, much like a pigsty. The sooner it's demolished the better.:hihi:

a) Star systems are an assessment of the services offered by a hotel. They are not a rating of the building's design.

b) I never said they were the best in London, but in the context of this discussion they are certainly the most relevant. And also, now I come to think of it, they probably are the best in London; unless you are some Arab businessman who wants a huge rococo suite and a butler at the door.

Have you ever been to either hotel? Or even have any idea what they are like. Check out their websites:

http://www.stmartinslane.com/

http://www.sandersonhotel.com/

c) I did not compare them to a hotel in Sheffield. Read my post again. I said that even if the Sheffield hotel is as good as one of them, which it won't be, then it won't be right for that particular space.

I'm not stupid, I realise that Sheffield is unlikely to ever have hotels of that standard, there's just not the clientele in this city, snooker or no snooker. But I mentioned them specifically because both have a modern, art-led design which comes about as close as is possible in a hotel to something that would fit in with the Winter Gardens, Peace Gardens & Millenium Gallery. But if pigs started flying and Ian Schrager decided to build a hotel in Sheffield then I'd tell him to sod off and build it on the other side of the galleries (in the spot where there's already a hotel).

BTW Weston Park could have given the British Museum a run for its money while it still had an art gallery. Unfortunately, now that Sheffield Galleries in their infinite stupidity have decided to do away with that, I don't see myself visiting it anything like as often (if and when they ever get around to re-opening it).

Damn Lestat - you beat me to it.

Got to agree that it really spoils the appreciation of St Mary's church. And when the wind's in the wrong direction............................................................

Originally posted by wendy

I thought the Grosvenor was going to be demolished anyway!:confused:

My vote would go with either the Roxy, Milton House or Redvers House.

Kristian - I though most of Hyde Park had already been pulled down?:confused:

I think I must have meant Park Hill! :blush:

K x

Originally posted by Longcol

Damn Lestat - you beat me to it.

Got to agree that it really spoils the appreciation of St Mary's church. And when the wind's in the wrong direction............................................................

LOL! :P - at least thats 2 votes for it!

Originally posted by Lestat

Theres a particularly disgusting building on Bramall Lane - smells quite badly too, much like a pigsty. The sooner it's demolished the better.:hihi:

even though victorian maps show hillsborough to be built on a pig farm- strange that.

Groan. The owner of the Classic Rock Bar got his planning permission through this week to demolish the pub. Don't much wanna nominate that though.

I nominate Park Hill, knock it down and build it again properly. I know it's listed, but hey, I can dream.....