Demolition (Channel 4) - Vote for a horrid Sheffield Building

The building which I hate in sheffield is the Novotel. It is the single most ugly building in the town centre.

The new buildings around it are looking quite nice to me now and Novotel lets the whole block down.

The roxy is the most horrible building in sheffield. Redver's house does look worse now than it did before.

Park Hill

Roxy

DWP building

I believe they are featuring more about the Park Hill estate on the Demolition prog C4, it was the only building to be in there top ten and to be a listed building!!!!

1 ST Paul's Place!!! - It has destroyed the Peace Gardens and it's as ugly if not worse than the old Egg Box. It has killed the centre of our city.

Please vote to demolish this building, along with the office of whoever was responsible for sanctioning this monstrosity in the council!!!

Originally posted by JimFX

1 ST Paul's Place!!! - It has destroyed the Peace Gardens and it's as ugly if not worse than the old Egg Box. It has killed the centre of our city.

Please vote to demolish this building, along with the office of whoever was responsible for sanctioning this monstrosity in the council!!!

i disagree i think it looks nice now its kinda finished and cant wait to see what the rest sheffield has to offer. IF you are goin to nominate a building to be demolised be a little more realistic, they have only just just built the hotel FFS !

I think the program showed sheffield in a possitve light, we should be proud of our city :-)

I agree - I kinda like it, don't be such fuddy duddy's.

I was walking up t' Moor the other evening and there are hotel rooms with those sweeping glass vistas - they overlook the Peace Gardens, Town Hall and Moor all lit up - that must be a fantastic sight from the room.

Ideally the hotel should have been built where the Winter Gardens are and the Winter Gardens should have been in front of the hotel but new buildings take time to assimilate

I lived in the North East when they were constructing the 'Angel of the North', bye eck you have never heard such criticism - everyday the local papers just printed, 'waste of money', 'blot on the landscape', 'carbuncle' - it was savage criticism - do we hear that now?

Change is a funny thing

Originally posted by eighty4

i disagree i think it looks nice now its kinda finished and cant wait to see what the rest sheffield has to offer. IF you are goin to nominate a building to be demolised be a little more realistic, they have only just just built the hotel FFS !

I think the program showed sheffield in a possitve light, we should be proud of our city :-)

the macdonalds hotel is ok i suppose, but i agree that 1 st paul's place is a monstrosity:gag:

Originally posted by Unisol

This may seem like a capitalist pigdog attitude, but tall buildings (skyscrapers if you like) signify wealth and success.

We're obviously not talking on the scale of New York, but most major cities have a striking syline but Sheffield's is somewhat lackluster.

Sheffield has some fantastic old architecture but our modern buildings aren't exactly brave or interesting in their design.

The national Pop centre (however ill conceived) is a great building. As are the millenium galleries, park hill flats, the winter gardens & the DWP Ziggurat.

I think one of the best features of Sheffield is it's natural, geography. Not many buildings actually alter the natural curves of the hills, or stick up above them, which gives it a unique undulating skyline.

I think the best view is sheffield has to be from the banner cross area looking down ecclesall road/encliff park. Its just a sea of green trees, with occasional old buildings just poking out of the canopy.

stunning.

Apart from macdonalds hotel & the horrific st apaulings place. The proposed, its not built yet but people want it knocked down already, monstrous 32 story st apauling tower slab. Sheffield city centre! What a dreary ugly dump!

Originally posted by Tim42

(snipped) The proposed, its not built yet but people want it knocked down already, monstrous 32 story st apauling tower slab. Sheffield city centre! What a dreary ugly dump!

I agree, tim,

the slums of the future, IMO

PT