Unofficial Sheffield Forum/Showroom Movie Group - thread 2

shlg

Wikipedia actually makes Kario sound good!! I found it very hard to keep my eyes open and wasn't scared at all. I won't make it to Easy Virtue on Tuesday so I'll look out for the next one. Let me know if I should go and see it another night.

• 3 weeks later...

Rivals was pretty depressing - and if I had read a bit more about it beforehand (like going on imdb and reading the plot summary...) I think I would've been a little less confused about what I perceived as Gabriel's change from an ordinary man who's been to prison to a master criminal. And I think it might have been worthwhile to stop to think why they chose "Rivals" as the English title - but this didn't occur to me until now.

As it was only two of us tonight, we didn't make any decisions about the next film but looking at the January programme (which doesn't appear to be online yet), both shlg and I said we'd like to see Milk but other suggestions for January films are welcome, as are suggestions for what date would suit people best :)

I think it might have been worthwhile to stop to think why they chose "Rivals" as the English title - but this didn't occur to me until now.

I was wondering about that on the way home, too: the only explanation I could think of was that 'Blood Ties', which would have been the most obvious translation of the French title, 'Les Liens Du Sang', is already in use for a TV series and could have caused confusion.

That still doesn't explain why they picked 'Rivals', specifically, though.

• 3 weeks later...