Unofficial Sheffield Forum/Showroom Movie Group - thread 2

Hello :-)

I'm new to the group and would be interested in attending one of your meet ups. One can never watch too many films! I was wondering when the next meet up may be?

Thanks,

Shell

Hi guys

Once again enjoyed Man On Wire the other evening and enjoyed meeting those who were there.

Has anyone got plans / preferences for the next one?

Owen.

As I was the one who suggested MOW I'm happy for someone else to throw a suggestion in Somers Town? The Wackness?? ;)

Timewise, I'm away the week after bank holiday so the first week of Sept would be best for me. According to the Showroom site it should still be on then, though it still says TBC for times.

First week of September is good for me too - but I'm only free on the Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. (And, using my special psychic powers, I can tell you that Code13, Maels and Ms Contrary are all unavailable that Wednesday).

I'm happy to see anything - my favourite options of the ones already listed for that week would be Angel, Ben X and Somers Town.

The Monday, Tuesday and Thursday of that week all look possible for me at the moment.

Somers Town, The Wackness and Ben X all sound good.

Monday, Tuesday or Thursday of that week would be fine with me.

And I'd be happy to see any film out of Somers Town, Angel or Ben X.

Shall we say Monday 1st September, then, before we all start getting booked up with other things?

The films in common, in people's preferences, are Somers Town and Ben X: does anyone have a preference between these? Ben X is on at 6.20 and Somers Town at... time tbc.

Hi, Sorry I missed the film nights. I can make it for the next one, Monday 1st September 2008. Please keep me posted with the details.

Cheers

See you all soon.

Apparently Somers Town is only 70 minutes long. So even an 8pm showing or whatever would still leave us time for a discusson. I have no idea what Ben X is about but am happy to go with the flow (I know I could look up imdb but my online time is very limited these days).

Hi all, I'm good for the 1st - don't mind what we're seeing. See you all there!

From the Showroom website (where they still don't give times for Somers Town):

Ben X

Dir Nic Balthazar, Belgium, Netherlands 2007, 1hr 33mins, Subtitled

Ben, a teenaged autistic boy, is getting bullied at school. As an escape from his day-to-day trauma, he retreats into the world of his favourite online role playing game to find solutions to his problems. But when he befriends Scarlite in his virtual world, and she appears in the real one, they concoct an ultimate revenge. Apparently in line for an English language remake, Balthazar has made a vivid, shocking film about online and actual bullying, where fact and fantasy meet head-on.

Somers Town

12A

Dir. Shane Meadows | 2008 | UK | 1hr 11mins

Shane Meadows brings back Thomas Turgoose (the star of last year’s hit This Is England) in this tale of a lad from Nottingham who runs away to London and befriends Marek, the son of a Polish construction worker. Shot in black and white and DV, the young leads are excellent: Meadows has many points to raise about community, outsiders, and being on the edge of adulthood, but as usual makes them with gentle humour and a good deal of humanity. Winner of the Michael Powell Award for Best New British Feature Film at this year’s Edinburgh Film Festival.

The screening times for Somers Town have finally been updated on the Showroom website - on Monday the 1st it's on at 6.50.

So, are we going to see it or Ben X at 6.20? I can't decide which one I'd prefer to see.