Unofficial Sheffield Forum/Showroom Movie Group - thread 2

As a someone who tends to find horror too creepy (or gory), I didn't find Pulse scary at all.

We talked about going to see Easy Virtue with Kristin Scott-Thomas and Colin Firth as our next film, on Tuesday 25th November at 6.05pm, unless someone comes up with a better idea.

Ooh, Noel Coward, great! (I only know that from googling it, by the way).

Glad last night wasn't too scary: sorry I didn't make it.

Hiya, good to see you all last night...agree that the film was probably not what I was expecting from the "horror" genre.

If you're interested, here's the wikipedia entry which I thought threw a bit more light on the story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kairo_(film)

Just to say that I'm going to watch [REC] on Tues 4th, which is certainly a bit more stereotypical of the genre - gory, jumpy zombie stuff!

I'm good for whatever we decide for next viewing too.

Hmmm the link you posted seems to tell us that there is no article on Kairo! Perhaps it was taken down after you viewed it. I found the film quite creepy, but the plot hard to follow.

That's weird - it does that for me too, but if you search "Kairo" on wikipedia you can find it...

Agree about the narrative - I was pretty relieved to find that we all found it heavy going.

Was also relieved at the lack of red gaffer tape around my front door when I returned home!

Wikipedia actually makes Kario sound good!! I found it very hard to keep my eyes open and wasn't scared at all. I won't make it to Easy Virtue on Tuesday so I'll look out for the next one. Let me know if I should go and see it another night.

I know - I'm staying well out of the film choosing after pumping for Kairo!

I went to see [Rec] a couple of weeks back - now that is scary...gory, jumpy Spanish zombie action!

See y'all tonight.

I went to see [Rec] a couple of weeks back - now that is scary...gory, jumpy Spanish zombie action!

I'll know to avoid that, then. :)

See you tonight.

I had a good time last night; thanks.

Next meeting is to see Rivals at 6.15pm on Wednesday 17th December.

Just a reminder that the next meet is this Wednesday. Newcomers welcome. I'll be in the bar from about 5pm; otherwise, we meet by the box office about 10 minutes before the film.

Apologies one and all - I'd mistakenly got this in my diary as Thurs and have therefore double booked myself....d'oh!

Sorry I can't make it, look forward to seeing what you made of it and I'll see you all in Jan.

Tom

Rivals was pretty depressing - and if I had read a bit more about it beforehand (like going on imdb and reading the plot summary...) I think I would've been a little less confused about what I perceived as Gabriel's change from an ordinary man who's been to prison to a master criminal. And I think it might have been worthwhile to stop to think why they chose "Rivals" as the English title - but this didn't occur to me until now.

As it was only two of us tonight, we didn't make any decisions about the next film but looking at the January programme (which doesn't appear to be online yet), both shlg and I said we'd like to see Milk but other suggestions for January films are welcome, as are suggestions for what date would suit people best :)

I think it might have been worthwhile to stop to think why they chose "Rivals" as the English title - but this didn't occur to me until now.

I was wondering about that on the way home, too: the only explanation I could think of was that 'Blood Ties', which would have been the most obvious translation of the French title, 'Les Liens Du Sang', is already in use for a TV series and could have caused confusion.

That still doesn't explain why they picked 'Rivals', specifically, though.