1950's / 1960's Kellys Directory

23 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

There isn't a Carter Place in the 1951 edition. There is a Carter Road.

The local studies library have copies of Kellys Directories and they may have an earlier one.

Thanks Harvey.

If I ever get back to Sheffield, I'll be spending a fair bit of time in the library.

As you get older, it's satisfying to tie up loose ends in your life.

And thanks to today's technology, its alway possible!

1939 : Francis G Charles   b1854   13 Carter Place Sheffield 

Wow! Thanks

That would be great Grandma Charles, mother of Gertrude Charles, who married John Rastrick, my father's father, who died in WW1, who later married Frank Caswell, Secretary General of the Sheffield Transport & General Worker's Union, and had 4 wonderful daughters, my Aunts.

Frank, a dedicated communist, used to have his picture on the front page of the Star regularly, calling for a transport strike!

But he was a good bloke, taught me about gardening, and took me on fishing trips. 

Where do I send my "donation"?

Edited by trastrick

That's Ok trastrick ,   How about  making a donation to the Poppy Appeal!

8 minutes ago, zaci said:

That's Ok trastrick ,   How about  making a donation to the Poppy Appeal!

You got it!

Not sure if this can be answered, but my relatives Alf and Ada Varley lived in a back-to-back house, just beyond the Infirmary. I can picture the house in my mind, but can't think of the address. I do remember the toilet in the courtyard!

On 02/11/2022 at 13:19, trastrick said:

Wow! Thanks

That would be great Grandma Charles, mother of Gertrude Charles, who married John Rastrick, my father's father, who died in WW1, who later married Frank Caswell, Secretary General of the Sheffield Transport & General Worker's Union, and had 4 wonderful daughters, my Aunts.

Frank, a dedicated communist, used to have his picture on the front page of the Star regularly, calling for a transport strike!

But he was a good bloke, taught me about gardening, and took me on fishing trips. 

Where do I send my "donation"?

Francis G Charles would be male.. Frances G Charles  would be female.

19 hours ago, danensis said:

Not sure if this can be answered, but my relatives Alf and Ada Varley lived in a back-to-back house, just beyond the Infirmary. I can picture the house in my mind, but can't think of the address. I do remember the toilet in the courtyard!

What year(s)

On 24/11/2022 at 19:52, danensis said:

Any relation to Roger Varley who lived nearby with his parents in the St Philips Road area about 65+ years ago?

18 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Any relation to Roger Varley who lived nearby with his parents in the St Philips Road area about 65+ years ago?

I don't believe so. No Roger in the family.