Marquis of granby derbyshire RIP.

My gramdma was a room maid at the marquis for over 20 yrs

Yet another of our grand buildings have now gone. Drove past today and its all gone apart from a little building. Dated back to the 17th century, how can they do this and then keep things like the park hill flats. Its make me so angry seeing this like this happen.:mad:

What a shame, brings back many fond memories this place, we used to have our works annual fishing club dinner there in the early sixties. Why have they knocked it down ?, so much history there, it was a great place.

Delboy Canberra Australia

Nearly 3 years have passed since the last post to this thread and it's impossible not to see that the site of the old hotel remains undeveloped. A neat stone wall partially conceals a large hole in the ground where the old buildings once stood, and there are mounds of stony earth piled around the site. The road access may be the best part of progress so far.

The impressive website remains, but the enquiry form seems to be dead; http://www.marquisofgranbyhotel.co.uk/

The plans on the website outline an expensive project, possibly into millions. Planning permissions were sought; http://pam.peakdistrict.gov.uk/?q=marquis+of+granby

Closer examination of the website suggest it's a little out of date, like extolling the dry ski slopes in Sheffield as a nearby attraction. Normally work is expected to commence within 3 years of agreement. Maybe the slow building of that wall might be starting the development.

Anyway, now the economy is lifting off, maybe the project will soon get properly off the ground. It does sound like an impressive venue to bring employment into the Peak District - firstly in construction, then running the hotel.

I used to deliver and sell goods to the Marquis five days a week for eight years in the 1980s on behalf of Fetchers Bakeries,I also served the Rising Sun,Castle Hotel and George Hotel Castleton!.I was told back in the day one family owned quite a good few of these type of establishments in Hope Valley!.They had a son whom I met at the time I was doing this,he came across as a complete waste of space,anyhow the story was due to his severe gambling habits his parents had to sell each Hotel one after the other to settle his debts!.They were selling the Rising Sun after selling the swimming pool separately as I was calling on them,I am sure a local in the area can give credence or disprove this,talk is cheap as you know!.:confused:

I used to deliver into thr M o G in the nineties. It was pretty much dying on its feet then. Interesting to note on the new website is the copyright date.....2015. The info may be out of date but someone is keeping the website alive

Years back sheffield pubs last orders at 22:30 to be drunk by 22:40 not so TMoG which was in derbyshire... last orders 23:00 and supposed to be drunk by 23:30 ..as if :-)

I'm told by a local a guy did buy it and wanted to convert into a home then whe refused permission into flats when refused permission again he just waited for it to fall down.

What happened to it in the end I have no idea.

Edited by Tommo68

Guest makapaka

There was a massive development planned for this site a few years ago.

A large conference / hotel / leisure centre.

I worked on some of the initial proposals for it. I left the company I was working for at the time and assumed I would see something pop up there over the next few years but it would seem not.

Probably due to the recession.

I heard that the issue with redevelopment was bats in the remaining central building. This was from a taxi driver, so an unimpeachable source.

I heard that the issue with redevelopment was bats in the remaining central building. This was from a taxi driver, so an unimpeachable source.

The building no longer remains, the bats must have lost!

I heard a few years ago that part of the plan for the land was to include some housing and the council had insisted on there being some 'social housing' which had deterred the developer. This was just a rumour and may have no foundation in fact.

pile of rubble now, someone's had the wrecking ball in

I agree to think they can demolish a fine building like the marquis, down, it could have been into a youth hostel or very affordable small hotel, I've been to a few dinner dances there, it could have been a over 50s sheltered housing, or senior citizens home wish I had had the finance to do it but alas I don't never did, but hate to see building being torn down yet places like park hill and other crap holes like the hallamshire hotel, and other building that should have gone years ago. i'm all for modernisation but some times it goes to far steve