The Buccaneer, Leopold Street

Great memories. I was lucky enough to be in Weston Park - all of 5 feet away from the bandstand - when Pete Green played, what a day!! Does any one remember the Yorkshire Bridge, Bamford. What a jukebox easily as good as The Nelson. We used to have the occassional Friday night out there & sometimes called into The Marquis of Gramby if there was a band on.

I was the one who urganised the Weston Park concerts and although I never shared a flat with Peter Green the rest of your description of me is accurate.Incidentally. my mates and I never went to the Buc on a point of principle.When they opened the place, the manager gave an interview to the Star saying long haired lads wouldn't be admitted as they were troublemakers.Somewhere along the way the management changed their minds but didn't give another interview saying they had been wrong and apoligising for the insult.We were all well and truly P'd off and refused to go.Anyway,alcohol was not suited to that kind of music.We had something else.Heh heh.

Hi Glyn

Can you put a name to the Unknown band playing in the old bandstand at one of your concerts. Weston Park Free Concerts c.69/70

Edited by Lostrider

We seem to have got seriously off thread but sorry lostrider I can't help you.I'll get in touch with some old mates and see what they think.Incidentally,I can't remember any of the performances because I never saw them.. Once I'd announced a band I had to run round getting the next lot sorted out.It was great fun though but probably wouldn't be allowed these days;too much red tape.

• 4 weeks later...
Great memories. I was lucky enough to be in Weston Park - all of 5 feet away from the bandstand - when Pete Green played, what a day!! Does any one remember the Yorkshire Bridge, Bamford. What a jukebox easily as good as The Nelson. We used to have the occassional Friday night out there & sometimes called into The Marquis of Gramby if there was a band on.

I used to frequent the Yorkshire Bridge in the 70's, and the occasional night in the Marquis. You're right. The jukebox in the Yorkshire Bridge was sound!!

I can't believe there's no pictures or photo's of the Buccaneer ?

Some places just didnt' have anyone taking pictures of them which is a crying shame - the Buccaneer and Redgates building near the top of the moor are two places the Sheffield History website is trying to trace photo's of

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk

If anyone has any photo's I'm sure they would be extremely grateful !

I can't believe there's no pictures or photo's of the Buccaneer ?

I can't help but think that if we saw piccies of it we'd be disappointed.

In our heads (some of us at least) is a place of magic. Fotos would show it to be the dark and dingey place it really was

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I was listening recently to BBC 6 Music and Stuart Maconie played a track by Aphrodite's Child called "It's Five O'Clock!. I was immediately transported back to the best pub in town, and I could even smell the lingering odours

("Din't 'ave no Leopold Square in my day")