Sheffield Labour Party's 'Closing The Gap Strategy": What has for you?

I think if the Libs can reduce the amount of wasted resources across the city then all communities will be a lot wealthier and happier.

In some deprived areas of the city, access to appropriate medical services are inhibited by various constraints. In the ward that I represent, discussions between the council and the primary care providers is leading to the provision of two new, modern health centres (which will replace outdated

GP surgeries) - which will provide an increased range of medical services, e.g., ante-natal care, chiropody, etc. The council has assisted the primary care provider by ensuring that the necessary land sites for the proposed

health centres are available for this purpose.

I don't understand how the provision of "modern health centres" in a deprived area of the city will make everyone in that area healthy when it seems the better off area across town with better health outcomes manage fine with the "outdated" GP surgeries system.

To take the example you quoted, smoking during pregnancy, everyone knows you shouldn't do this anyway, if people in one area are more likely to do so then elsewhere it's got nothing to do with the provision of ante-natal services. Besides, in terms of the main hospital based ante-natal care, it's all based at the Northern General (next to some relatively deprived wards) or Jessops (in the city centre). There is none in the more affluent south, so how does that account for the different outcomes between north and south Sheffield?

You could take smoking in general. More people in poorer areas smoke. It's not that they don't already know it's not good for their health, so spending money on new health centres isn't going to do anything about that.

Same with housing - there's no intrinsic difference between the late Victorian terraced houses in, say, Crookes and those in, say, Darnall - or for that matter all the ones that were demolished in the 1960s in the east of the city to be replaced by cheap concrete council housing that was pulled down and replaced again in the 90s.

Besides, in terms of the main hospital based ante-natal care, it's all based at the Northern General (next to some relatively deprived wards) or Jessops (in the city centre).

I don't want to detract from your post, but I believe all ante-natal care has now transferred to the Jessop Wing, ie, there is none at the NGH.

I don't want to detract from your post, but I believe all ante-natal care has now transferred to the Jessop Wing, ie, there is none at the NGH.

Jessop Wing = Jessops... still city centre.

Oh sorry just read that again. No ante-natal at NGH? I didn't know that. Doesn't that mean that Labour have gone against their own policy somewhat?

Am I the only one to remember the Liberals have had control before and not that long ago? I don't remember any ground breaking policies then. I have seen a lot of new schools built under the Labour Council. Parks have been improved under EU and Heritage funding so can't say that is a council iniative. How about some real planning and not just throwing out money according to political rhetoric. Let's look how they have turned things round in Easterhouse in Glasgow, in Newcastle. It's not who we target, it's how we target.

You are not the only one to remember, duckweed. The problem on this thread is their are a great number of posters who don't want to be reminded what a shambles they left behind for the Labour Party to sort out.

At the termination of their control of the Sheffield Council, I was a Labour Party member who argued against taking back control until the Liberal Democrats had sorted out the shambles out or been ordered not to stand for public office again.

The Lib Dem's are a general public liability and should not be allowed control of public W.C.s never mind a City Council.

I hope this time my fellow party members will listen instead of taking control of a shambles.

Yep! lived in 3 different terraced properties from time to time.Raised by grandparents whilst mother and father were involved in WW11.

Don't know what their politics were..........................presumably Labour because of the familiar saying at the time........."A workin' man can't vote ought else but Labour! My wifes mother always voted Labour like the rest,but she admitted a sneaky admiration for Thatcher's firm disciplined leadership as she called it! If only Brown had some of that......................if only!

A vast area of Sheffield where the terraced properties existed such as, Crookes, Walkley, Heeley, Sharrow, Lower Ecelsall normally voted Conservative.

In fact, Heeley was represented by a Conservative-Liberal. Peter Roberts or Jackson for many years and the Crookes, Walkley areas by Conservative-Liberal. John Osborne or ?????. (Someone fill in please.) I remember Darling ( Lab) covered Hillsbrough. Mendleson covered Penistone including Parson Cross,

........and are you trying to tell me that just because Shy Edge is small means you can throw as much cash at it as you want, why not the same for Greenhill then which never got modernized, my god they didn't even have bathrooms but to you its OK because they live in an affluent area, your attitude is sickening.

I have never mentioned Greenhill.

It is you attitude of accusing people of things they have never said that is out of order.

But don't get carried away with recent local electoral events.

Basically now instead of telling mother what she should do,

You'll have to do it and take the blame for not knowing how to do it yourselves.

Have a good hard look at the results before getting carried away.

Typical, everyone else is to blame eh Albert, keep up the mantra.

I'm a trainee journalist working on a radio package about local reactions to the closing the gap policy and how it has/hasn't affected your area. If you have 5 minutes to speak to me about this please get back to me. There's clearly some strong opinions here and it would be nice to hear from as many of you as possible

I find this utterly stupid, you cannot fix this type of problem by throwing money at it, unfortunately this government seems to think that giving money hand over fist fixes everything, look at the NHS it's still failing yet it has had record investment?

Try fixing anything without money!

Try fixing anything without money!
Lots of worthwhile things work without money!but this regime have tried fixing it with money(never their own of course) and failed ................basically because they are morally and spiritually bankcrupt......you any ideas?