Scrapping a car

Does anyone know how this works now please? Years ago you would phone a scrap man, he would turn up and gibe you a silly price then drive off laughing. Then more recently I'd heard that you still phoned said scrap man but this time you gave him money to take it away........and then he'd drive off laughing (jolly lot these scrap men).

Not sure which way round it is at the moment. So if anyone can shed (I use the term in reference to the car) any light i would be greatful.

Unless your car is made of valuable and usable parts, then it usually cost money for the scrap dealer to collect your car so you end up paying them.

Very occassionally if you're lucky, your local council might hold a car amnesty to clear untaxed or unroadworthy cars off the streets, and will willingly arrange to have your car scraped for free.

My mechanic got my car scrapped for free. Didn't get paid for it but didn't cost me anything either. I gave him my log book and a week later received a letter telling me it was officially scrap.

I've seen a "vehicle" offering £75 for scrappers, South Yorkshire Scrap metal (i think) someone on here was also offfering to remove scrap with some recompense if it was worth it.

if it was worth it.

It's a Rover, I very much doubt it.

Some Rover parts are in short supply, i paid £65 for a window mechanism to fit into my MGTF, same part as some Rovers. Don't be too hasty.

But you're probably right:D

Fletcher's at Chesterfield will pay you for a scrap car.

Tip... make sure you inform the DVLA that your vehicle has been scrapped, otherwise if the collector does get your car road worthy again you would be liable for any fines or penalties that the car accumulates.

I scrapped 2 cars recently and got £75 each car, one of which was a rover, neither of them were drivable.

Thx for the replies and links.

scrap metal prices are sky high at the moment so you should get a few quid .