National speed limit road signs - rant

On various driving courses I've been on they have always told us to make good, safe, progress. Driving too slowly for the conditions is not that as it is inconsiderate to others and can lead to them taking risks to get past so that they can make good progress. It's no good saying that people should be patient, it is normal for people to become impatient when they are held up unnecessarily.

The book 'The Driving Manual' (an advanced version of the highway code, used by driving instructors and many other DOT/DSA departments) states clearly that drivers are encouraged to drive in 'a brisk business like manner'

Its about time people did so and stopped causing accidents by pootleing around in a world of their own oblivious to the other road users around them.

These people annoy the hell out of me! Its probably more dangerous at 40 than at 60, since irate drivers tend to try to overtake.

If you were clocked at over 60 mph I suppose it would be the slower drivers fault for making you drive faster as they were annoying you.

60 is the max speed whats wrong with 55 and the reserve speed to overtake without having to do 70.

If you were clocked at over 60 mph I suppose it would be the slower drivers fault for making you drive faster as they were annoying you.

60 is the max speed whats wrong with 55 and the reserve speed to overtake without having to do 70.

No-one is complaining at doing 55, they are complaining at them doing 30-40 in a 60.

im fairly sure theyre not moaning at people doing 55 but 40 or even 30

My thought when I am passed doing 55 on a 60 road is. See you at the trafficlights/roadworks/traffic jam ahead.

My thought when I am passed doing 55 on a 60 road is. See you at the trafficlights/roadworks/traffic jam ahead.

do why not go another 5mph hour quicker and reduce the risk of a head on collision during an overtake?

i see faults on all sides of the debate here:

drivers don't always know what speed limits apply and then don't always keep to them

so some drive at 40 in a 60,

othersdrive at 65 in a van (>2 tonne) in a NSL single carriageway road where their limit is 50 (yes, vans do have different speed limits from cars as do trucks > 7.5 tonnes gvw. etc and some car drivers could do with knowing this 'cos they are either following the van all hot under the collar at being delayed or jumping into a van ignorant.)

then there's those that see a queue of vaehicles ahead that HAS to be overtaken and then claim that everyone else is an ignorant snail.

anyone around here a perfect driver?

by the way, the Germans are considering getting rid of their no-upper-limit Autobahns (these represent only 40%, I believe, of their m'way kms) because of their m/way death toll and serious injuries are way out of kilter with the rest of us.

A white circular sign with a diagonal black stripe is a national speed limit sign.

This means the speed limit is 60 m.p.h,not 30,40 or 50 m.p.h

It's also 70mph, but I'll let you work that one out.

It's also 70mph, but I'll let you work that one out.

On a single carriage it is 60, dual carriage it is 70!!

Can you imagine if we all had to do our tests again, I wonder who would pass!!! I probably wouldn't!!! Too late now though, the muppets gave me a licence 9 years ago!!! :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

The operative word - as has already been pointed out - is limit. The minimum speed on a single carriageway is zero. They can go at any speed they wish between that and the maximum.

For someone that doesn't drive you claim to know a lot about how it should be done.

Which should include knowing that not making reasonable progress is dangerous and prosecutable.

On the other hand, using the hatched area to overtake between Coisley hill and the next roundabout isn't only entering when necessary, it's entering because you wanted to, there's a reason you get flashed, you're driving dangerously.

There are so many people that drive at 50 though because they haven't realised that the limit changed when they reached Coisley hill coming out of town. It is very frustrating.