How to reset a password in XP?

BoroughGal

I'm having a major clear out in my house, and have given my old computer to a mate. However, I can't remember the password I used to use to log on, and the hint isn't helping me.

Obviously I need to set up the administration rights for her, does anyone know if there is a way to reset the password?

Cheers. :)

No i don't know you may have to and it may be an idea to stick the origional disks in and do a complete recovery,who knows what may be on the pc lol and it may be good for her to have a clean start on it,well done for doing your bit to recycle things.

I'm having a major clear out in my house, and have given my old computer to a mate. However, I can't remember the password I used to use to log on, and the hint isn't helping me.

Obviously I need to set up the administration rights for her, does anyone know if there is a way to reset the password?

Cheers. :)

i know sum1 who will reset it for a tenner

If it's a bog-standard install then the Administrator account probably won't have a password.

Get into safe mode like muddycoffee said, & log in as Administrator (as your usual account will just ask for password again). Then, in safe mode, delete your old account &/or create them a new one. Make them an admin-level account or they'll probably have trouble doing stuff.

Restart & they'll be able to log in using their account.

If the Administrator account DOES have a password then there are ways round this, re-post here if you have no luck.

start up XP, and on the screen where you select the user, press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice, this will bring up a login prompt, type in "Administrator" and leave the password blank (unless you set one up during original install) -- this will let you in as administrator..

the alternative is download a Boot CD that has a password resetter on it, google for "Windows XP admin password reset" or something like that, there's lots of links around, most of them are a boot disk solution (download an .iso, burn to CD, boot and reset password)

• 2 weeks later...