Are we slipping into 1980's rates of unemployment?

My best mate who's 62 has recently taken early retirement, his pension isn't great but he's not moaning. He is about a stone overweight and has started to walk 5 miles a day. He saw an add in the paper for a 'dog walker' and thought that he could earn a few bob by doing his walk.

After making an application he was asked if he had 'dog training' qualifications, they were only paying the National Minimum Wage for gods sake. :loopy:

as someone who used to work at that jobcentre, don't bother, they are useless, keep hammering the thursday star and mysheffieldjobs.co.uk

Yep, me too & i'll second that...they couldn't give a stuff about you, you wouldn't believe how much the staff slag people off when the phone goes down. They get paid and that's all they care about, most spend half their time on the net or chatting with their mates...a lot of young, naive student types working in the civil service now and like everything else they get their claws into...it's going to the dogs.

The Jobcentre are currently hiring staff on a temp basis until March 2008, if you dont like what they do, see it from the other side, maybe you will change your mind

hope you meant 2009, but if anyone wants a stress free life and plenty of time off go for it, they are great to work for but no good for the people who they are supposed to be there for:)

It's soul destroying applying for jobs and not even getting a letter to say 'thanks for applying but...' I know these companies are busy but a little courtesy wouldn't go amiss.

I agree that maybe if you've applied for 60 jobs and haven't had any luck then you're probably not selling yourself in the right way - I've been in the same position myself recently and there are lots of websites offering good advice - this is one of them

http://content.monster.co.uk/section4047.asp

If you can make changes to your cv or application, see if there's anyone you trust to tell you honestly what they think - they might spot something you've missed out or suggest areas to improve.

Sounds like you've got determination and initiative to come on here so I'm sure any company will spot this potential soon - good luck!