Official: Bill Gates is 47.77 times more popular than Spawn of the Devil

I gotta admire him and his wife for their humanitarian efforts. Fair play!

I used DR-DOS and MS-DOS and the problem with DR was that they went their own way with a half arsed graphical interface like GEM that was too tied in to particular applications. And DR did have the opportunity to be the OS of choioce for IBM - but lost out, at least in part to poor management and arrogance from Kildall.

You could have applications that worked on DR-DOS but that wouldn't work on MS-DOS, and vice-versa. I seem to remember that Apricot sold DR-DOS with their F series machines - absolute pigs.

Sorry - I cannot see where the holding back of technology has come from. Macintosh came in in 1984. Prior to that Apple had Lisa. The Unix guys had 30 or 40 different brands of Unix. Are you seriously telling me that Microsoft had all the smart guys and that these other companies couldn't invent stuff to beat MS with?

There was a period of time - 1980 to 1985, perhaps, when it was all up for grabs. Just a great shame that Apple got greedy and the Unix guys stayed greedy.

I like a world in which my applications run on large numbers of machiens, by different manufacturers, without me having to much about with them. I'm interested in providing solutions for business, not technical wet dreams for geeks. That's what Gates understood that others didn't.

all the other companies had their own problems, mainly expensive hardware, or microsoft using anti-competitive tactics to put them out of business.

dr-dos was killed when microsoft wrote a line of code into windows 3 that checked for dr-dos & refused to run windows if it found dr-dos (other than that, it'd have worked fine).

i think computers wouldve standardised on a single major os if microsoft never existed, it might have taken a couple of years longer, but that os would probably work better than the ms efforts.

they held back technology by (almost) forcing people to use such poor software & killing any competition.

they have a long list of other victims.

their skill is in being ruthless & marketing, not writing good software.

nothing was up for grabs after ibm handed them the pc os monopoly. ms made sure of that.

apple failed by tying their overpriced proprietary os to their overpriced proprietary hardware. they keep people hooked on buying the next version, like addicts, by promising that this version might work, obviously it doesnt, so you need to buy the next one ....

What's he gonna do with it when he coughs it? Take it to the grave or hereafter?

all the other companies had their own problems, mainly expensive hardware, or microsoft using anti-competitive tactics to put them out of business.

dr-dos was killed when microsoft wrote a line of code into windows 3 that checked for dr-dos & refused to run windows if it found dr-dos (other than that, it'd have worked fine).

i think computers wouldve standardised on a single major os if microsoft never existed, it might have taken a couple of years longer, but that os would probably work better than the ms efforts.

they held back technology by (almost) forcing people to use such poor software & killing any competition.

they have a long list of other victims.

their skill is in being ruthless & marketing, not writing good software.

nothing was up for grabs after ibm handed them the pc os monopoly. ms made sure of that.

apple failed by tying their overpriced proprietary os to their overpriced proprietary hardware.

100% with you on that except for the "almost" unless of course you mean 0.001% of an option about the other options.

100% with you on that except for the "almost" unless of course you mean 0.001% of an option about the other options.

well, they didnt actually hold a gun to everyone's heads, but apart from that ....

Why do people hate Bill?

Jealousy for most. Then some will blame him personally for any and all problems they've ever had with their Windows based computers (regardless of wether it is Windows at fault or not).

I'm sure releasing an operating system that either slows down existing applications/games or doesn't work with them at all hasn't helped him much.

Nor did the 'paperclip'.

his 'humanitarian efforts' are a stock fund which pays out some of the interest to 'worthy' causes, and so avoids any tax.

its a way of passing the wealth on to whoever is going to inherit his fortune, while avoiding paying any type of tax on it.

....I'm interested in providing solutions for business, not technical wet dreams for geeks. That's what Gates understood that others didn't.

And many never will understand :(

But for the smile that last bit of your post gave me....

:D:banana::banana::clap:

I'm sure releasing an operating system that either slows down existing applications/games or doesn't work with them at all hasn't helped him much.

Nor did the 'paperclip'.

That's exactly my point... by the time the Paperclip arrived was he really still hands on?

People hold Bill responsible for these problems they see with Windows rather than hold Microsoft responsible.

They are not the same thing.

Nor did the 'paperclip'.

i think him & his billions might disagree with you. it seems to have helped him a lot.

I suppose along with Paul Allen, Bill Gates helped the desktop computer boom (I'd say started, but that wouldn't be strictly true)

TBH it was IBM (with the introduction of open ended architecture) and compaq (making the first cheap IBM clones) that helped MS take a stranglehold on the PC market.

they just got lucky with a deal with ibm

When the infamous MS SW licencing system was first introduced:(

The Unix guys had 30 or 40 different brands of Unix.

MS also created (and marketed) a version of Unix (Xenix).