Sheffield Boys football 1950s

Anybody know anyone who played for sheffield boys football team in the early 1950s?

(Apart from Gordon Banks)

My Dad - Roy Mitchell played around 1953, he used to have some team photos, but they got lost. Any info much appreciated. My Uncle Ron Bradley also played a couple of times.

my uncle use to play for them but probably late 40s- 50s.

dave worthington.

I remember a lad called "Tony Pounder" who was picked out from St Christophers Church team at Bellhouse Road Shiregreen..and he played for Sheffield Boys ( I think), also another called "Bobby Lodge" ( He was great)

anyone remember anyone on my photo,

of prince edward football team 1948.

on one of my threads.

Roy, try putting you photo on http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/ as they can take pictures --and you might get a response. Do it on the sports link and it might prompt some discussion about various old Sheffield Boys teams. In the meantime, someone here might throw in a few more names...like Brian Richardson, David Layne, John Fantham,etc.

I new Johnny Gray and Mick "Sam" Clarke who played in the late 50s but have not seen them for over twenty years. I know Dave "Bronco"Layne was bought by Wednesday from Bradford City so he may not been a Sheffield schoolboy

I new Johnny Gray and Mick "Sam" Clarke who played in the late 50s but have not seen them for over twenty years. I know Dave "Bronco"Layne was bought by Wednesday from Bradford City so he may not been a Sheffield schoolboy

I don't know the answer but David was born in Sheffield and began his career with Rotherham.

I wondered if Len Badger played for Sheffield Boys, but may have been 60s, he certainly played for England Schoolboys?

Len was in the same team as Johnny and Sam 1958-9 I seem to recall United signed nearly all Sheffield boys Chris Rabjon, Vic Walton. Johnny played for England school boys

Len was in the same team as Johnny and Sam 1958-9 I seem to recall United signed nearly all Sheffield boys Chris Rabjon, Vic Walton. Johnny played for England school boys

Then I'll try and add further with Bernard Shaw who was three months older than Len and followed similar paths originally?

Just wonder if you are able to put a year to the following? It's a loose photograph lying in a book - taken in the 60's 1963? - of a successful England Youth team? 'Chopper' Harris holds the trophy, Badger and Shaw both there, others I recognise; Lew Chatterley, John Sissons, Cowan (Chelsea - goal), Sammels and Tommy Smith.

Most are signed but there are three I can't recognise. If you can tell me the likely year or occasion, I'll look up the full team please and be able to assign names to them?

Hi Chairboy,

Can you display the photo?

The year I know would be 1963, not the best footballing side but very good looking!!

regards

Geoff

Hi Chairboy,

Can you display the photo?

The year I know would be 1963, not the best footballing side but very good looking!!

regards

Geoff

Hi Geoff, In a word "No" - the Christmas tree has deposed the scanner!

Sure you're right, 1963, England beat Northern Ireland 4-0. I have the Rothmans annuals but can't see evidence of teams. Might contact the F.A.

Anyway - apologies for the deviation from Sheffield Boys - just an aside as Badger and Shaw look (were) so young on the picture.

As Chairboy says, David Layne was a Sheffield lad, and he certainly played for Sheffield Boys. In fact, he was one of the products of Tinsley, and I am fairly sure he did begin at Rotherham, who let him go to Swindon --which is where he was first dubbed "Bronco". David went to the same school as Godon Banks. In fact, David still lives in the East End, not far from Meadowhall shopping centre.

The England youth team Chairboy mentions rings a bell, and I vaguely recall the picture to which he refers, but I can't put a date to it. Bernard Shaw grew up in the Southey Green area, but he may have been born in Pitsmoor/Burngreave, for his brother Graham was at one time at Pye Bank School. Anyway, Bernard was no doubt a Southey schoolboy, while Len Badger was at Coleridge Road. In footballing terms, Bernard and Len grew up together and from schoolboy days gained honours together --though I think Bernard had some sort of health problem at one stage and it slightly hampered his development. Len, of course, went on to become one of the youngest captains in Sheffield United's history.