Sheffield Boys football 1950s

I think I can come up with a couple of names of Sheffield Boys, must have been early 60s, Barry Rainey and Richard Lee? Correct me if I'm wrong.

In the early 80s, there was a pupil at High Storrs called Richard Howe (goalkeeper) who was on Manchester United's books at one time. I think he played for England Boys as one of my pals went to a game at Wembley to see him?

It also takes me to another one-time apprentice on Manchester United's books, Fraser Digby who went to Meadowhead School and played for England Schools, thus I assume Sheffield Boys?

I am also wondering if two others, whom I knew, played for Sheffield Boys at football, Keith D Ellis and Andrew Burgin?

I know Andy did at cricket but he was such a natural at that age, I wouldn't be surprised.

Fraser Digby was a Sheffield Boys lad, and, after being taken up by Man Un, he spent most of his career at Swindon. I recall his testimonial not long before he retired. He always retained a great affection for Sheffield, and it was invariably good to see him when he came to this area with Swindon, but I have a feeling that he remained in Wiltshire, and he may still have some links to Swindon. He used to talk about being a ball boy at Bramall Lane, along with another lad, John Beresford, who went on to play for Barnsley and Newcastle. I am fairly sure that Beresford also played for Sheffield Boys in the 1960s.

Like Chairboy, I am not sure whether Andy Burgin played for Sheffield Boys at football as well as cricket. Certainly Andy was a very good cricketer --as, incidentally, was John Fantham years earlier. The last I heard Burgin was a school caretaker in Blackburn.

I remember Barry Rainey. Richard Lee was a cult figure on Crookes as a schoolboy player. I don't know whether he played pro though. Fraser Digby I saw quite a lot playing for the Boy's and he later had a good if unspectacular career. I also assume Andy played but can't confirm.

some of the sheffield boys team of 1958 to 1958 were rob hudson. jeff lee. dave hammond.barry twigg. dave redfern.mick ash who was one of the first players to go and play in america.dave blackburn.three of us went for trials from whitby rd.me barry everitt and joe rogers.it was at norfolk school.but it was clear early on they knew the team already.

Anybody know anyone who played for sheffield boys football team in the early 1950s?

(Apart from Gordon Banks)

My Dad - Roy Mitchell played around 1953, he used to have some team photos, but they got lost. Any info much appreciated. My Uncle Ron Bradley also played a couple of times.

my uncle tony yeomans played for sheffield boys in the 50s,his claim to fame is that he scored the first goal under the new floodlights at bramhall lane,i think the team lost 7-1 but he scored the first goal of the match.have you any recolision of it.

We knocked about with Roy Poole who played for Sheffield & Yorkshire boys.His brother played for Wednesday a few times.They lived up Crookesmoor.

Hi Keith

Thanks for trying. I had good friends at that time , such as Ronnie Bryan who played centre forward (old fashioned or what?) and also England Boy's. Dave Travis, John Stanbra,Robin Lee and more. It would have been nice to make contact with them again.

Also I have not heard from Ian B. but will pass your best wishes and question when I speak to him.

Geoff

hi geoffusa, i see john often he lives at handsworth good lad,he was a great player.

Now I am a Unitedite and I stand to be shot at but surely Albert Quixall ought to be mentioned or was he late forties

Now I am a Unitedite and I stand to be shot at but surely Albert Quixall ought to be mentioned or was he late forties

yes he was late forties signed as a pro for owls in 1950 made first team debut in 1951 as a 17 yearold.

We knocked about with Roy Poole who played for Sheffield & Yorkshire boys.His brother played for Wednesday a few times.They lived up Crookesmoor.

Hi there is it the same Roy Poole who married Cynthia worthington.

Has a son named Nigel

Hi there is it the same Roy Poole who married Cynthia worthington.

Has a son named Nigel

Sent you a PM.

I have a picture of Roy somewhere.I will dig it out and PM it to you.Sent now.

Edited by Kidorry
Added text.