Would You Date Someone Who's Physically Handicapped?

Would you date someone who is physically handicapped?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Would you date someone who is physically handicapped?

• Yeah it wouldn't bother me at all
    • Yeah but other peoples thoughts would bother me
    • I don't know
    • No because other peoples opinions would bother me too much
    • I'd never date someone who was disabled

Originally posted by _Fate_

:: Note To All Forum Members ::

xXprincessXx is very bad with punctuation, grammar and spelling, please excuse her. And she is easily confused, and easily confuses others. Hense, her previous messege, where i was talking about INsensativity, and she replied with that. :D

No offence kirsty. :P

As the famous radio program was called

'does (s)he take sugar?'

I don't think I'm the only person in the forum uncomfortable about the turns this thread is taking, especially the matter of one forum member being spoken for by another.

Lets keep it on topic, shall we?

At the end of the day, if your current wife/husband/partner was in an acident that made them unable to walk/talk/hear/see or anything else like that, you wouldn't dump them would you? (I'd hope not anyway!).

If you met someone that was handicapped or disabled but you liked them and got on well, then why not? I think a point to address maybe though is how many people would bother to get to know someone handicapped? I'm not saying I wouldn't because I have friends who are handicapped (deaf, dwarf and chronic cystic fibrosis) and it doesn't bother me at all, but some people would never even think of becoming friends with someone they met int he pub or somewhere if they're handicapped. Does that make sense?

Handicapped people have their own personalities and shouldn't be judged on what they cannot do, but what qualities they do have and their individual personalities. I'm in a happy relationship but if I were single, being handicapped wouldn't be a problem for a potential boyfriend, providing you get on well and enjoy being together.

I work with people who have a mental health problem/learning disability/autism including Aspergers.

All of the people who I work with are really great people with a lot to offer.

They already have faced barriers in their lives at school and now in the field of employment.

The may also face the same a barriers when it comes to relationships.

Someone in my family has a disability and my son has epilepsy,dyspraxia and Aspergers.

A lot of people may not even know what any of these are.

To look at my son, most people would probably not be aware that on the face of it, there was anything wrong.Indeed ,dyspraxia is called 'The Hidden Handicap' as most health professions will know and understand.

That is the main problem,most people are ignorant about things like this and, particularly with mental health, people think it is still a taboo subject.Maybe I will start a thread out of interest to find out how many people know what any of these disabilities are and how would they treat someone who has these problems.

If the police, teachers and kids in school and employers understand the barriers and problems that people face, then we would all be able to get on a lot better .

If you did some research( and I know that this is done) in to the percentage of inmates in prison and looked at how many of these people are on the autistic spectrum, I am sure that it will be a very high percentage indeed.

There should be a way that we judge people on their potential and their attributes, not on what they look like.or what their hidden disability is.

Princess....

Can I ask you something seriously? Is Fate stalking/bothering you? Only it seems that the majority of his posts seem to be talking about you and how good you are? This would scare me a bit, he seems a little bit obsessive.

Fate can you not stop talking on her behalf? I'm sure she is able to speak for herself, and find some inner self confidence without you having to "intervene" for her. Besides being quite belittling, IMO, it's quite boring for the rest of us to be answering the same questions about whether the woman you fancy is attractive to the rest of us.

No offence to you Princess, I don't really think you're encouraging him that much.

I agree with BoroughGal...

_Fate_, you appear to be a classic case of being over protective... she's disabled, yes you've made that point... but she CAN look after herself and she really DOESN'T need you to talk for her, nor broadcast her breast size on the internet for half of yorkshire to read about

I'm sure you wouldn't take her to a night club and broadcast as loud as you can "HI THIS IS MY FRIEND, SHE IS DISABLED AND HAS HARDLY ANY SELF CONFIDENCE, BTW HER BREAST SIZE IS ..... "

I'm sure that would REALLY improve her self confidence, if in fact she actually has a low one...

Here's something you should take on-board mate, as I really think your missing a very vital point of life...

a physical disability is only partially a physical thing (if you wanna know why I'll gladly answer to anyone), and parts of a disability can be overcome by having a positive attitute, if you continue to treat her like some sort of a baby that can't look after herself then your really not helping her AT ALL...

Mod: This thread is now open for business again.

No, I wouldn't, couldn't, and shouldn't.

A physical handicap wouldn't bother me, unless they were ugly.

I think, personally, it would probably depend on the level of disability.

It might be shallow but i'm not sure if i'd date someone with no legs. now if she had legs but couldn't use them it would be different (for me).

might not be PC but that's how I'd probably feel.

As blade says, depends on the disability, if shes had her face melted off or summat or it required me to push her everywhere in a chair, put her on a stairlift, help her into the bath/car etc then no. If she was deaf then yes. People may disagree, but thats me.

A physical handicap wouldn't bother me, unless they were ugly.

So if they were a nice person other than being ugly, you'd still not go out with them?

You suck.

So if they were a nice person other than being ugly, you'd still not go out with them?

You suck.

Physical attraction is very importanat in a relationship.

You suck.