Pubs closing down in Sheffield area megathread

Stannington pubs that have not followed this business model have prospered and are attracting more people, due largly to the smoking ban which has made them more pleasant places to frequent.

Popped into Minnie's a couple of Wednesdays back and was impressed.

They're clearly catering for the grey pound on a lunchtime and who can blame them? The dining room side was very busy and the food was great (nothing more, nothing less), it was cheap, the place clean and warm and we felt looked after (a nice hello can make or break any pub visit).

Good for them. I got the impression the staff and owners were really making a go of it. It's also got a lovely beer garden/play area for the kids in summer.

And Magnet on tap too.:thumbsup:

Popped into Minnie's a couple of Wednesdays back and was impressed.

They're clearly catering for the grey pound on a lunchtime and who can blame them? The dining room side was very busy and the food was great (nothing more, nothing less), it was cheap, the place clean and warm and we felt looked after (a nice hello can make or break any pub visit).

Good for them. I got the impression the staff and owners were really making a go of it. It's also got a lovely beer garden/play area for the kids in summer.

And Magnet on tap too.:thumbsup:

Totally agree with you. Ange and the staff put a real effort into making everyone welcome and it makes at difference. Glad it's my local:)

As for the Hare & Hounds, I heard a rumour that the brewery company who own the premises, also own the land where sadly-missed cricket pitch used to be behind. Would be a real shame if they were allowed to build on there.

Can anybody confirm this rumour or otherwise?

Another problem that has not been touched upon, is that some pubs allow drinker's after time, obviously because they need the money, but! this can have a adverse effect, because what happens punters drink elsewhere and don't bother with the pub that does A/B untill the others close, then happily sit there for hour and half with thier half lager........ but to me thats the landlords fault for allowing it.

Think you'll find that two of those pubs are not located in Stannington but in a chav dominated estate taht has been mistakenly located close to the village. The third one (Hare and Hounds) was indeed in Stannington but closed because a sucession of landlords aggresively chased the chav custom at the expense of other trade only to discover it cost them more trade than they gained.

Stannington pubs that have not followed this business model have prospered and are attracting more people, due largly to the smoking ban which has made them more pleasant places to frequent.

Yes I know those places are not in the Village part of Stannington but the estate which everyone calls Stannington....but you are right about the chav infestation!!!:hihi:

One of those pubs listed is indeed chasing the 'chav' market, further decreasing their already awful reputation of chavs, low life and drug problems......why dont they ever learn????

strange tho in wadsley bridge as it was a gold mine of pubs so close to each other..and people on like a pub crawl one to another...now its a ghost town.....but im suprized..as were has the people gone......is hillsbrough the same...as theirs loads of pubs/clubs in that area:huh::huh::huh:

yes it was full or pubs....not been out there for ages, whats that huge one on Halifax road by the shops, is that still open??

Hopefully, good pubs will survive!

Join CAMRA to help: http://www.camra.org.uk/home.aspx

We also campaign to try to prevent pubs from closing down as often a pub is a focal point for a local community and once a pub is closed down it seldom reopens. Recent research from CAMRA has suggested that as many as 56 pubs are closing down each month across the UK and this affects both rural and urban areas. CAMRA helps communities fighting to save their local pub and many communities have succeeded in saving their local and defeating demolition or unwelcome development.

Download a copy of Saving Your Local Pub

Great idea!! The good pubs should survive....What saddens me is that when great old and often historic pubs close and are sold off, they go straight to developers, often without even being advertised for sale as a FREEHOLD PUBLIC HOUSE, which I would snap up like a shot!!!! They are obviously in some kind of deal with developers, as if you do some research, the same property development companies often take up a whole portfolio of pubs from the pub co's, obviously for some kind of bulk buy deal....it's not fair...not enough are ever freed up on the open market

We need more freehold pubs on the market because once freehold, the chances of survival are much higher without crippling Pub co ties and rents...beer can be bought at sensible market prices, and sold for a sensible price...

no more bland corporate identity chain pubs PLEASE, if I ever set foot in an EMBER INN again it will be by force screaming and kicking.....and I am rapidly beginning to think the same about GREENE KING pubs, they all seem to be given the BLAND AS HELL and soul less treatment too.........

Are you thinking about the White Horse, Goldenfleece? That was shut for ages, then reopened again quite recently. Not sure how busy it is since the refurb though.

The Five Arches on Herried Road has been closed for some time as well. That is one pub that could open as a "2 for 1" kind of place and make a mint, I would have thought.

...and now Bar One - One Bar? Never could figure out what it was called - in Dronfield has closed too.

Apparently mainly due to all the d**kheads the landlord was getting in....

We currently dont have a local pub, in the last 7 years 2 pubs have been closed and turned into churches, 1 has been demolished, The Travellers on City Road is closed for good, the Vulcan is closed as is the Horse and Lion, the last 2 are up for let....... All these pubs were within 5 minutes walk of my home. The nearest pub which is still open in the Earl Marshall on East Bank Road!!

I think you can trace the demise of the local back to Mrs Thatch and her really stupid idea that the bigger breweries had too many pubs, so had to sell a few off to the smaller breweries. Off course the big breweries sold off the loss making pubs to the smaller fry and they could not make it work. Before her idea came in the bigger more profitable pubs in effect subsidised the ones that did not take much. Now the smaller companies can make a go of the ones they inherited and also charge the tenants in the pub unsustainable amounts of cash to try and run it. Well done Mrs Thatch and your bunch of buffoons.

its a good topic tho makes me feel like going out and have a pint....cheers

I have lived up Stannington all these years and never knew we had two Sportsman pubs.

Only know of one.