Flower Estate, what went on?

I used to Live on the flower estate from being born to leaving when I got married in 1973,I used to live opposite the junior school on the corner bracken rd, I agree it was a good estate back then everyone looked out for each other, you could leave your doors unlocked, & no one bothered not like these days, I remember Wakes, ernie wake knocked around with one of my brothers also I think it was Steve woodward as well (he had a glass eye) Smiths, longfords (next door neighbours), on bon fire night our end of the green used to have a competition with the other end to see who could build the biggest bonfire, we always lost as one of the family's dad brought home loads of wood on the lorry he drove, some other names that come to mind are: bruins, dixon's, shipam's, turton's, mr brooke's, exton's, mitcham's, naylor's, one's I went to school with are: longford, Smith, myers, walker, scott. varley, allan, willis, to name but a few anyone else remember me (haddon) let us know.

i no a few of the names you mentiond you may have gone to school with one of my brothers.the family name is green

Hi Carol, I can't recall the name. what is your brothers name & where abouts on the flower did you live, at the senior school my last form teacher was Miss Bennett, I have 4 brothers, peter, paul,

david, philip, I left school in "68" such a long time ago, can you bring me up to date on the estate as I haven't lived in sheffield for 22 years, I now live in mallorca but visit our eldest daughter who lives at Shiregreen a couple of times a year.

hi GJ2004 well i was a baby when you left school lol, my oldest brother is called david then there was barry, robert, paul, then my siswas gaynor, lisa, my dad was allen green, we lived on daffodil road no:38. sorry i cant keep you upto date on the goings on up there now i moved when i was 17 and have only been back a few times over the years so you prob no more than me, but david still lives up there near school.

hi GJ2004 well i was a baby when you left school lol, my oldest brother is called david then there was barry, robert, paul, then my siswas gaynor, lisa, my dad was allen green, we lived on daffodil road no:38. sorry i cant keep you upto date on the goings on up there now i moved when i was 17 and have only been back a few times over the years so you prob no more than me, but david still lives up there near school.

I was a mate of your Bob's, Carol. My nan lived at number 61. Mrs Ashton

what a small world i cant beleave i found this site by accident and me past is flying back i even went out on friday nite and bumped into a lad we used to knock about with not seen anyone in years lol.

l.o.again carol, the names you mention don't ring a bell, may be if you could ask your bro what form he was in at school & some others he went to school with might jog my memory as it is such a long time since I left school lol.thanks sue

hi sue i dont see much of my family to be honest i see me oldest brother david now and again when i go to the dentist near where he works but he married susan york, kenneth stanley was one of his mates i dont remember others sorry but i will ask him when i see him again.

I used to Live on the flower estate from being born to leaving when I got married in 1973,I used to live opposite the junior school on the corner bracken rd, I agree it was a good estate back then everyone looked out for each other, you could leave your doors unlocked, & no one bothered not like these days, I remember Wakes, ernie wake knocked around with one of my brothers also I think it was Steve woodward as well (he had a glass eye) Smiths, longfords (next door neighbours), on bon fire night our end of the green used to have a competition with the other end to see who could build the biggest bonfire, we always lost as one of the family's dad brought home loads of wood on the lorry he drove, some other names that come to mind are: bruins, dixon's, shipam's, turton's, mr brooke's, exton's, mitcham's, naylor's, one's I went to school with are: longford, Smith, myers, walker, scott. varley, allan, willis, to name but a few anyone else remember me (haddon) let us know.

I was born on Bracken road but we moved onto Hyacinth when I was about two-ish. My sister married David Higton who lived on Bracken road and my best mate at infants and middle school was Paul Naylor (who is a prison warder at Armley now!)

I know hell of a lot of those names :)

i was one of those big familys liveing on daffodil road my family was probley one of the first to get a house on there. i loved it as a child growing up there i lost my mum when i was 6 so it was hard for my dad bringing 7 children up but he managed it. it was a great place to bring familys up we all grew up together because there was alot of big familys and they lived there all there lifes to it wasnt a case of shoveing big familys from troubled areas. may be 10 years ago yes but not back then we played on winkobank hill all the time many of fun hours my oldest brother still lives in the area and im sure he could be a big help to you to. as for the church wasnt all churches haunted to us kids even thou i belived it at the time i use to go to sunday school there we did all the shows nativity plays we used to go up in the loft area thats where we felt scared we kept all the props up there.

hiya carol

i used to live there as well gail bilton 57 daffodil right on top, got 2 brother gary n mark. lived next door to beryl turver then the hells angels, then the flints. I remember u loosing your mum when we were at school, also remember gaynor n lisa u lived in house next to gennel . I agree with you it was good times , we lived there 18 year and never had no trouble. my mum n dad only moved off just before they were going to get knocked down and moved onto shiregreen. i can also remember the park on wincobank hill where we used to play.

I was a mate of your Bob's, Carol. My nan lived at number 61. Mrs Ashton

hiya my parents used to live at 57 janet and danny bilton and i think i remember your nan she used to have a corgi and her daughter or grand daughter lived on bellhouse road across from shops . your nan had a great big lilac tree in garden next to gennel we used to hide in it had a word with my mum and she says the daughter or grand daughter was called |Judy and mrs Ashton was a lovely lady. also thinks the corgis name was sacha

hiya this site brings back memories , some of the names i remember are walkers , flints, welches, bycrofts, greens , whittles, bains , winstanleys, carnalls, thought id chuck a few in , i was only looking for an exchange on sheffield forum. lol lol and the fire stories i remember them there was one on next block,on daffodil, other side of gennel where bycrofts lived the dad died i think he went back in to save the dog. and the fire brigade were on strike at the time and green goddeses had to come so didnt get there for awhile but i think the son got out , think their family name was Wildgoose ? also remember shentall or Stones ? fire where the dad died,and the house was empty for ages.