Gleadless Valley named bad area in The Star

Why not ? never about when they needed ! last week we found a old man wandering the streets trying to cross a busy main rd at 8am in dressing gown and slippers,nearly caused a major accident plus held up traffic,the police was rung by 3 people 55 mins later they turned up,Newfield greens shops police rung every night turn up 4 hr later,call a coloured a name police turn up within 5 mins,so dont preach or police on gleadless valley cause there isnt any unless racist incident

Assuming that 'why not?' means why wouldn't the police manipulate the figures the answer is that they have no reason to do so. And like I said they would be very difficult to manipulate.

The rest of your post is somewhat difficult to decipher. But it seems that the police are called on a regular basis, so I don't see how you can claim that it's not a crime hotspot.

understand where you coming from. but have to disagree to some extent. think in some cases that could be right. but not in most cases. I was unemployed for a short time, with a young son to support. and yes I claimed benefit but I also went to college to retrain and got a better job than I had before. one that gave me a great career. I was 30 when I went to college not a young 16 year old. I did what I had to do to support my child. I didnt wallow in self pity cos no job and claimed all benefits i could. I was brought up to support myself and my family and I did just that. I got off my backside and worked hard at college so to get off benefits quicker.

I know a woman who has lived on the valley all her life. she comes from a very decent family. she has a son, grown up now, got in to drugs and her son one of the people who causes trouble in the area. he had no support growing up and was brought up in a very unsecure environment. that I would say was because of the drugs his mum was on. drugs, umemployment all adds to the trouble in the area.

I'm not surprised that you have worked hard to support your family, there are a lot of us like that! Its what we are supposed to do, yet lots of families really don't see it that way, ie...

a concentrated group of families who have never worked and not really bothered with education or stricts codes of moral conduct

Fox has worked hard for years as a volunteer on the estate where she lives which has also been labelled as a bad area. I'm sure she'll agree that not everything in Winn Gardens is rosy, but by people like her in the community working together, the area has improved enormously. If the residents had ignored the problems and done nothing, it would probably have got worse.

I'm surprised not to have had any reaction to my earlier postive post http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=3155260&postcount=94

Fox has worked hard for years as a volunteer on the estate where she lives which has also been labelled as a bad area. I'm sure she'll agree that not everything in Winn Gardens is rosy, but by people like her in the community working together, the area has improved enormously. If the residents had ignored the problems and done nothing, it would probably have got worse

Thanks Ms McB :) You can't win every battle but have to see the good in people. They come in all shapes and sizes, some are willing to help and be helped some... well they're not. But working together with the liaison officers from SH and other bodies such as Futures and the Police things can improve.

The interesting thing about this for me, is that the council/police are responsible for this area just like all the other areas in Sheffield.

It's an admission of failure on THEIR part! You can't blame the entire community of Gleadless for problems across their community.

If the area has problems, why didn't/aren't the council/police doing something about it?

The interesting thing about this for me, is that the council/police are responsible for this area just like all the other areas in Sheffield.

It's an admission of failure on THEIR part! You can't blame the entire community of Gleadless for problems across their community.

If the area has problems, why didn't/aren't the council/police doing something about it?

You can't blame the council or the police for the behaviour of residents within a community. Example, my neighbour knocks on my door and belts me round the chops... who's fault is it? The councils? NO The Police? Of course not, its the neighbours.

The Valley has been highlighted as an area of poverty previously and as I posted somewhere in the beginning of this thread there is huge investment in tackling the problems in the area.

'You can't blame the entire community of Gleadless for problems across their community' - what utter nonsense !

I think it's more the bits between where the Far Lees was and where the Blackstock is on Leighton Road, and the bits by the Horse and Groom going towards the woods which are considered poor.

Think you need to get your facts straight, get down near horse and groom and see how many are council now !!!!!!!! the majority are bought

Not sure in what capacity you think the council are responsible? They provide houses and try and deal with cases of anti social behaviour, but without co-operation from the public they can't get evidence to take to court. The police used to deal with issues that are now part of many housing worker's jobs. But they haven't got powers of arrest, and they don't do 24 hours rotas. Unless the government decide to better resource police forces, I can't see them being really effective in most communities for a lot of the time.

A lot of the responsibility must sit within families. People who have children without any thought of the effort and cost it takes to bring them up in a decent manner. Parents who prefer their children out of sight. Of course its not the fault of a whole community, but perhaps they need to work together with the council and police to try and make things better?

OH MY GOD

the counciL are responsible as the problem people on the estate. the council do nothing to help. they provide the houses yes but thats where it ends. anti social behaviour is met with "well keep a diary". that does not work. have personal experience in this which I will not divulge as it gets me very worked up. they council did nothing. and it went on for years, still the problem there and they still do nothing. diaries they have had in vast amounts. the council do NOTHING.

they wash their hands of it. thats why there are problems on the estate. the council left it to rot. did not focus on up keep of it, if they did perhaps the estate would be as good as it always was, but not they left it. some residents to blame of course and they should take the responsibiltiy but so should the council. we pay our council tax for nothing it seems

* £200,000 is being invested in community safety, providing four neighbourhood wardens dedicated to the area.

* Youths are being targeted with more activities, £60,000 is being spent on equipment for teenagers in Herdings Park, Sheffield Futures is increasing outreach work and £8,000 is paying for youth work training so more people can give assistance.

* Investment in parks and green spaces in Gleadless Valley has been doubled and the council is working with retailers towards improvements to shopping centres

* Health problems are being tackled by providing advice to girls about contraception, an "enhanced public health programme" and giving greater assistance to elderly and vulnerable residents to reduce hospital admissions.

With the greatest respect, I live in GV and have not seen ANY evidence of this investment.

It was great to see the article in the Star about the new gym, but we only know about it because of the article. Nobody has advertised it - when did it happen? Why were residents not informed? Also, apparently 90% of residents are unhappy - nobody asked MY opinion, or that of my parents, brother and many friends who live on the valley. Where are these 90% of residents?

I agree that if people get together things can be improved, but I have not seen any evidence of anybody trying!

I think it's more the bits between where the Far Lees was and where the Blackstock is on Leighton Road, and the bits by the Horse and Groom going towards the woods which are considered poor.

will someone please:gag:this person like i said before,its people like this who do not know what there on about that give this area a bad name :rant:bits by the horse+groom take a drive around there most should i say neally all houses on there are bought on blackstock,spotswood,bankwood and on overend there all just about bought just odd tower houses that are not

so please don't pull places down that people on there take alot of pride in and have made there homes very nice rest my case:roll: