Where is woodhouse, whats it like?

my mate has offered me a room in a rented house in woodhouse, which i dont even know where it is. rent is dirt cheap as its a 'matey' deal with the landlord but not sure what area is like, currently at west 1 which is obviously a bit luxurious but at £525 a month compared to about £120 a month I'm thinking as long as i dont get shot it cant be that bad and house is being done up so wont be a hole. i have a car so transport wouldnt be a problem. just wondering what the area is like.

I've spent ages in Woodhouse and have never felt unduly concerned in regard to safety. They've had problems in the area with troublesome kids but nothing to write home about. There are a few decent pubs , a great chippy and a cafe/sandwich shop that is very popular.

With a car getting places is no trouble, Crystal Peaks five minutes away and Manor Top ten minutes. There is a good and regular bus service into the city centre although the local shoppijg area tends to sell anything you'd need.

Woodhouse is between Richmond/Stradbroke and Beighton and is easy enough to get too using main roads.

Possible troublesome area would be the Badger estate at the Station road end but my info is a few years out of date.

My girlfriend lives in Woodhouse, so I spend half my time there.

Like many places, it's not the place it was ten years ago, but it really is ok. Car thefts are increasing lately, but I always feel safe walking around there at night.

Not sure about it being one big estate though Rich, there are three distinct estates just in my area (mine at Southsea, the neighbouring Badger which is a bit rougher, and the larger private houses where the kids all go trick or treating as they get more goodies).

Don't expect Totley, but if the rent is cheap, it's worth a look.

cheers, well I work next to Meadowhall so was wondering how far it is from there and how long it would take to get there and back doing a 9-5.30 job in the car so i can plan journeys. do the trams go up there from meadowhall and don valley? what about trains etc.

Last time I was at Woodhouse station about two years ago there was a service going to Meadowhall, the station though isn't the easiest place to get to on foot so it depends where you are living in Woodhouse.

Driving involves a lot of main roads from Meadowhall but if you can get to the Asda at Handsworth it's then fairly straight forward.

Originally posted by Rich

The area is one big estate really, not brilliant but you could do worse.

Estate? It's a village :confused: Like all of Sheffield it has it's share of council properties, but the'yre in small enough clutches not to overwhelm.

Crystal peaks is on your doorstep. Meadowhall 20 mins away. M1 10 mins. Train gets you into town in 10 mins.

I like it here.

We have 3(?) restaurants, an assortment of takeaways, a large branch of co-op, a martial arts studio, a gym, more churches than you can shake a stick at ( :confused: and I've not heard of some of them), shirebrook valley and Rother valley country park on your doorstep.

Anything else you may need?

Taxi from town £10? Close proximity to helipad for when your car gets stolen? American independence re-enactment society? Places to keep horses?

Edit: And PM SandraSpice or visit her website. She's out here too.

Originally posted by mwright3

cheers, well I work next to Meadowhall so was wondering how far it is from there and how long it would take to get there and back doing a 9-5.30 job in the car so i can plan journeys. do the trams go up there from meadowhall and don valley? what about trains etc.

Train takes 20mins, no need to change. It runs into Sheffield and back out to Meadowhall! They run hourly, with a couple of extras at rush hour.