Wednesday Chat - Discuss games/news here

well they r 4th na

went to c them the other week wen they played swindon town n owls won 2-0 it was rate gud cin as id neva bin to a match b4

hope they go up a legue this year

Originally posted by nez75

Just seen this from http://www.owlstalk.co.uk. Its Vale's local newspaper. Is this blasphemy or what calling us blades? OH MY GOD!!!! What an insult!!!!!!!!

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=158777&command=displayContent&sourceNode=158607&contentPK=11694224

Wednesday nickname was the blades for a good 30 odd years....

Yeah about 100 years ago!!! Its an insult now!!!!

Why did Wednesday get rid of Blades for a nickname? it's the most obvious for a Sheffield team I would have thought. Oldham has the nicname 'Owls' also, who had that one first?

We were called blades because we were formed before you lot and it was formed by a group of cutlery makers. When we moved to Hillsborough (which was called Owlerton back then) we changed our nickname to Owls. When united were formed you took the nickname of blades.

We were called wednesday because originally we were a cricket club who's players formed a football club to keep fit during winter and the only day they could train was on a wednesday which was their day off.

Now, this is a sore point, Hillsborough stadium was built on a pig farm and our nickname after blades and before owls was the pigs. Which is where all the banter comes from. I've got a really old newspaper cutting of a match report where the reporter calls us by our nickname of "the pigs". He says: When "the pigs" came running onto the pitch the noise of the crowd grunting was deafening". Apparently all the wednesdayites used to grunt when the team came out.

Ofcourse these days the only pigs to be found in the city are in butchers shops and down the lane!!!!!!!!

Well I will ignore the last sentence in your post, but please tell me you are not taking the michael on that:confused: If that's really true is there any way you can scan the paper cutting or know any links to it. I have a friend who I always argue with about nicknames.

Sorry mate i'll have to work out how to scan a picture! Me crap wid computers! Der!

sorry, but i need this post (it´s mi fifth one) for sending a private message. :-(

Originally posted by duffman

Why did Wednesday get rid of Blades for a nickname? it's the most obvious for a Sheffield team I would have thought. Oldham has the nicname 'Owls' also, who had that one first?

are they not called the latics??

Originally posted by nez75

We were called blades because we were formed before you lot and it was formed by a group of cutlery makers. When we moved to Hillsborough (which was called Owlerton back then) we changed our nickname to Owls. When united were formed you took the nickname of blades.

We were called wednesday because originally we were a cricket club who's players formed a football club to keep fit during winter and the only day they could train was on a wednesday which was their day off.

Now, this is a sore point, Hillsborough stadium was built on a pig farm and our nickname after blades and before owls was the pigs. Which is where all the banter comes from. I've got a really old newspaper cutting of a match report where the reporter calls us by our nickname of "the pigs". He says: When "the pigs" came running onto the pitch the noise of the crowd grunting was deafening". Apparently all the wednesdayites used to grunt when the team came out.

Ofcourse these days the only pigs to be found in the city are in butchers shops and down the lane!!!!!!!!

i always thought that wednesday was formed by butchers, hence the blue and white stripes???

and also the reason they was called the blades

Originally posted by Robbie_Lovin

are they not called the latics??

They are yes, but I was told they used the nickname 'Owls' at somepoint in their history, just wonderd who had it first.

Owls once blades Pigs once cutlers