Shopping in Firth Park in the 60's/70's

I used to go to my Nans in Shiregreen and remember the Fine Fare Supermarket / Bowling Alley / and the church on the corner, but i really remember was the roundabout that had colured lanterns around it and was lit up at night. As a kid I called them candles - i used to pester my Grandad to take me for a walk in Concord Park, and if it was dark I'd say Its OK we can still go cos we can take thoes candles from the roundabout.

Further up the road was Sicey Hotel i rember standing outside there with a bottle of pop and a bag of crisps - wouldn't happen today would it!!!

Hi Timbuck. The record shop was S. Barron & Co. There from 1953 to 1965 Stan Barron was my dad. He was a bit of a character with big moustache, Kids all called him Snudge. ( from TV program) Not only did he sell records but Tvs fridges etc. He used to have 6d in the slot TV. I was the first kid in the class who could count to 40 as I had to bag up all the 6ds before I could go out to play. There was a fantastic sweet shop up the alley to the left. Dad used to bring home a huge bag of goodies at the weekend. Just remembered Marty Kane used to sell records there as well.

it used to be bunneys befor that used to be a door at the side ,snooker hall was over the top of bunneys

I had to glue my fingers together to stop myself from getting smutty Im still fighting the urge to make crab quips :D

does any one remember the name of the toy shop situated on the street corner half way up on the right hand side the street corner just before the street corner where the warncliffe pub is,

my dad always took me to the toy shop after he had finished saturday and sunday food shopping.

Funny that in the 70s parents only did 2 days shopping, i do not think we had a freezer may be that was to reason but come to think about it none of my friends paraents had freezers either, good old days

Hi robof1979

the toy shop was Kenyons, I used to live on Firth park Cres, and my in-laws kept the Wharncliffe Hotel for 19years.

thank you Alligin for giving me back a memory i once forgot kenyons was like a cut down redgates to me and my brother how time passes and we all forget our past, remember that time his our friend and will always be with us where ever we go, so it is nice to visit time passed even if sometimes our memories are not that great but memories can not be taken away from us so visit them from time to time they are always thier

Hi robof1979

the toy shop was Kenyons, I used to live on Firth park Cres, and my in-laws kept the Wharncliffe Hotel for 19years.

What number i lived at 34

Hi arsenal

number 146 from 1968 to 1975 approx.

Used to have a lot of plastic kits from Kenyons and my dad used to spend a lot of time in the Wharncliffe.....

.....we live at 91 Firth Park Crescent.

i used to live up the road in the upside down houses and loved firth park used to get the number 4 bus as it was then up bellhouse road to the old shiregreen school as could not be bothered to walk up bevercoats road. used to walk down to the old library through firth park woods past the old boating lake and then weekends and holidays in firth park going down on a bread tray to the stream at the bottom of the hill. i used to deliver papers for the guy that had a shop up the genenal of what used to be the job centre now the library.. reading this has brought back so many memories

Hi arsenal

number 146 from 1968 to 1975 approx.

Did u know Bennetts Crofts Simpson Burrows Wylder

I left about 1979

My cousin and I used to get boxes from the Firth Park shops and ride down the Donkey Hill in them!!. Memories of the bowling alley where they used to sell 'slush' and the pinball arcade there!

I remember carboard sliding on Donkey Hill!!

rember the whit marches at firthpark and the last tram ,i got my first transistor from wiggies ,my mun worked at the butchersshop not far from kenyons,she also worked at styons the bakers, shentalls shiregreen , dad worked at english steel they had a sports club up by the cemetery bank holidays there were sports days and the dances on a saterday nightthis was in the early 60s, ant the sun always shone

thanks to all the people in my youth