Ecclesfield 'village'

does anyone remember the arundel when brian nugent had it. a nice quiet village pub and a decent pint.

I remember Brian Nugent having The Arundel, and also his mother before him. Always known locally as 'Peppers', it had been in that family for over a hundred years. It was also known as 'Mary Jane's'. Brian's mum was born a Pepper, At Christmas, the bar would groan under the weight of the free food for customers. They would have an 'Ecclesfield Carols night' too. Perhaps not quite as lavish as the one at the Black Bull, but nevertheless a very enjoyable evening. Mrs Nugent's brother was Ted Pepper, who was the butcher on the Mill Road, Nether Lane, Common crossroads. The shop now belongs to the Riggs family. Prior to Mr Pepper having that shop, he had the corrugated steel shop where the Royal Bank of Scotland now is. After he had it, it belonged to Mrs Wroe, who ran it as a fish and chip shop for many years. Now those were fish and chips!

Edited by Nigel Womersle

there were 3 shops on st michaels. the other was bang opposite on the cross hill where hurdleys opticians moved to when they moved off st michaels. i can remember calling there for sweetson way to school in juniors which would have been 1958 onwards. the lady that ran it had a machine that dispensed sweets into a cone:D:D

In fact, the grocery shop on St Michael's Road was owned by Jimmy Hurdley's father for many years, until around the 1960s. Jimmy had a brother (Peter?) who worked with his dad in the shop. In later years Jimmy returned to Ecclesfield and set up as an optician on the Cross Hill site where Mrs Lyons had had her very popular shop.

My Grandparents lived on Yew Lane and I remember going to the Christmas Carols in Ecclesfield and listening to my Granpop sing the low notes, also I remember ringing the Ecclesfield church bells with my aunty and uncle, I was a bridesmaid there. We used to walk from the Cross to their house and I can remember being in my pushchair going past the secondary school over the grass. My Grandpop used to repair watches and I used to go with him to the village with the dog for crisps and pop.

DARYLL Yes I went fishing with my son to the pond behind the club about a year ago.

Edited by Sapa

My Grandparents lived on Yew Lane and I remember going to the Christmas Carols in Ecclesfield and listening to my Granpop sing the low notes, also I remember ringing the Ecclesfield church bells with my aunty and uncle, I was a bridesmaid there. We used to walk from the Cross to their house and I can remember being in my pushchair going past the secondary school over the grass. My Grandpop used to repair watches and I used to go with him to the village with the dog for crisps and pop.

DARYLL Yes I went fishing with my son to the pond behind the club about a year ago.

we use to walk from Mansel school to Ecclesfield Church for Christmas Carols,enjoyed the walk down to Ecclesfield,but dreaded the walk back.Do schools still go.

there were 3 shops on st michaels. the other was bang opposite on the cross hill where hurdleys opticians moved to when they moved off st michaels. i can remember calling there for sweetson way to school in juniors which would have been 1958 onwards. the lady that ran it had a machine that dispensed sweets into a cone:D:D

You were lucky cuz :o all we got was either fruit gums or spangles once a week when mam got her house keeping money. :)

You were lucky cuz :o all we got was either fruit gums or spangles once a week when mam got her house keeping money. :)

think yersens lucky, all i got was naggin aunts:gag:

In fact, the grocery shop on St Michael's Road was owned by Jimmy Hurdley's father for many years, until around the 1960s. Jimmy had a brother (Peter?) who worked with his dad in the shop. In later years Jimmy returned to Ecclesfield and set up as an optician on the Cross Hill site where Mrs Lyons had had her very popular shop.

The motto for Mr Hurdley's shop was 'You'll get it at Alf's'.