Ecclesfield 'village'

Just joined this site. Interested in your comments about William Greens and the mention of Tommy Parkinson. Tommy is my husband's cousin and is sitting in our lounge at this very moment. He is now 92 and still loves his music. He was a member of Ecclesfield Band for many years. He remembers the Higgins brothers very well. He still lives in Ecclesfield.

Say hello to him for me. He knows me. He is an excellent pianist.

I remember working with three bachelor brothers at Greens foundry in the early 70's. They were John, Henry, and Albert Higgins. They all lived in the same house in the Strawberry Avenue area. The manager at that time was Tommy Parkinson who I think played in the band. Top bloke was Tommy, a true gentleman.

My father Ernest Miller worked for Green's all his working life. In the late forties one of his work mates was Athol Higgins, he had a brother Doug who was in the Merchant Navy. Are these Higgins related to yours?

Say hello to him for me. He knows me. He is an excellent pianist.

Tommy remembers your name but can't place where you met. Were you in Ecclesfield Band?

Tommy remembers your name but can't place where you met. Were you in Ecclesfield Band?

No, not the band. I was in Ecclesfield Priory Players for many years. I was also his postman. I knew his sister Freda. The Parkinsons and Whithams were well known Ecclesfield people. I am Kate and Colin Hoyland's nephew.

No, not the band. I was in Ecclesfield Priory Players for many years. I was also his postman. I knew his sister Freda. The Parkinsons and Whithams were well known Ecclesfield people. I am Kate and Colin Hoyland's nephew.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will pass the information on to Tommy and Freda when I next see them and let you know the results

My father Ernest Miller worked for Green's all his working life. In the late forties one of his work mates was Athol Higgins, he had a brother Doug who was in the Merchant Navy. Are these Higgins related to yours?

Athol Higgings is alive and well and still living in Ecclesfield. He also was a longtime bandsman but with Chapeltown Band.

Hi Janner

Sent you a pm

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will pass the information on to Tommy and Freda when I next see them and let you know the results

Spoke to Freda on the phone today, she remembers you very well. Told me she worked with your mother, Madge. She now lives in Jump.

Spoke to Freda on the phone this morning. She remembers you very well, told me she used to work with your mother Madge. Freda now lives in Jump

Spoke to Freda on the phone this morning. She remembers you very well, told me she used to work with your mother Madge. Freda now lives in Jump

Hi. Yes, you are spot on. Freda was a friend of my Mother and a couple of her sisters. I used to go to her house when she and Bernard lived in the old cottages in St Mary's Lane (what a fantastic old building (15C) that was). Then again when they moved to the top of the Ladycroft. I also knew Adrian and Ivan.

Anyone who lives in Ecclesfield know the Moss family. If I remember correctly they owned either a green grocery or a general grocery store on the High street just below the Wheel. Their son Barry Moss was head prefect at the school I used to attend.

My sister and I used to go to piano lessons at miss Gillot's house on the Wheel opposite a cricket ground. This was back in 1954 so the old memory might be a bit hazy. At that time they still had gas lighting in the house. I found out a while back that this lady had passed on several years ago. I was over in England last September and taking a trip down memory lane and on one occasion stopped off to take a look at St Mary's church. There were several local people in the church and I asked one of them if he had known Ida Gillot. Turned out he was a cousin of hers.

There must be a lot of families in Ecclesfield who go back many generations.

Sort of a comforting thought in this modern turbulent world.

Hi all

does anyone know what the significance of the stone faces arranged in the shape of a cross, which are built into the wall on Church Street. These are situated on the same side as the church but about 25mtrs from the junction with Mill Road, going up the hill.