Ecclesfield 'village'

Shops down Mill Rd. Steeles barbers,Lil and Ede Tingle's accumlator shop before it became a newsagents and Mr Filsall's sweet shop.What was the name of the shop at the other end of Mill Rd before it became Stringer's Ladies Hair Salon.I'm a big pal of Graham Stringer.The sweet shop in the cinema,owned many years ago by Mrs Ferris,do you remember that one Nigel?By the way do you live on Church St?

I remember all the shops you mention. Before Tingle's had their shop, it was run by Mr Wood, who only had one arm. Filsell's is now a chip shop (had so many owners its beggars belief). The shop at the corner of Mill Road and Church Street was owned by Mrs Hogg (Enid) before Graham and Joyce Stringer had it. In my early days it was Weldon's grocery shop. Sorry, but the only person I knew to have the sweet shop in the cinema building was Mrs Key. She lived at the farm opposite. Mrs Ferris was most likely before her. Sorry, I don't live in Church Street.

I remember loads of stuff about old Ecclesfield as I may have posted here before.

Does anyone remember Bookers sweet shop?They had a mynah bird in there and it used to pretend to be the owners, and say hello as you walked in, it was always laughing and making daft noises!!

There was an old drapers shop on the end of that row, it was lovely, very traditional, selling buttons and ribbons and wool, and ladybird clothes!! Of course I remember Coldwells and the hams that Mrs. C used to do!Can you remember the beer crates that they had round the shop, covered with sacks for customers to sit on?Also Woodcocks where I used to buy me lem fiz squares and fab lollies!

Anyone remember Mary Whitam that use to sell buscuits etc, door to door once a week. She probably lived on a farm near ecclesfield, this was in the 60s, she always wore a brown boiler suit.

Anyone remember Mary Whitam that use to sell buscuits etc, door to door once a week. She probably lived on a farm near ecclesfield, this was in the 60s, she always wore a brown boiler suit.
we moved back to Shiregreen in the mid 50's a Mary Whitham? came round in a Fordson pickup selling fruit and veg, later it was a modern Austin i always understood that she had a greengrocers on St Michael's Rd could be wrong. Remember Mr Frost [barber] Cross Hill had my hair cut but never said a word just short back and sides.

I remember loads of stuff about old Ecclesfield as I may have posted here before.

Does anyone remember Bookers sweet shop?They had a mynah bird in there and it used to pretend to be the owners, and say hello as you walked in, it was always laughing and making daft noises!!

There was an old drapers shop on the end of that row, it was lovely, very traditional, selling buttons and ribbons and wool, and ladybird clothes!! Of course I remember Coldwells and the hams that Mrs. C used to do!Can you remember the beer crates that they had round the shop, covered with sacks for customers to sit on?Also Woodcocks where I used to buy me lem fiz squares and fab lollies!

I remember Kath Booker's sweet shop. I knew her parents as well (Mr & Mrs Housley) Mrs Rose had the drapery at the corner of Stocks Hill and Church Street. At one time it was Kelly Yeardley's bicycle shop. I remember Mrs Coldwell having those beer crates to sit on, as it was a large double shop inside. No bar coded tills then. She could add up like lightning, and never got it wrong. She was a lovely lady. Mr Woodcock, whose shop was behind The White Bear, was a Speedway rider at one time.

Nostalgia is not what it used to be but for those of us of a certain age the U3A, the University of the Third Age, has started up a Local History Group in the Ecclesfield area. The group is meeting, once a month, to start with, at Chapeltown Library, if you are interested send me a PM and I will send you the details.

we moved back to Shiregreen in the mid 50's a Mary Whitham? came round in a Fordson pickup selling fruit and veg, later it was a modern Austin i always understood that she had a greengrocers on St Michael's Rd could be wrong. Remember Mr Frost [barber] Cross Hill had my hair cut but never said a word just short back and sides.

For once I am stumped with this one. I have never heard of the lady, but that means nothing. Whitham is a good old Ecclesfield name though. If she had a shop on St Michael's Road, it must have been the 1950's, as there were only two shops there in the late 50's. Mr Hurdley's grocery store (motto - 'You'll get it at Alfs'). The other was Mann's drapery store. I shall ask around though. Thanks for that.

Lived in Ecclesfield in the 60's from the age of 7 till 16. - lived at the top of the hill at Tunwell Ave. Remember the ponds at the working mens and round the back the island, and the shrogs(?).

Went to the old scout hut as a cub and then the scouts under the direction of D. Crisp. As I remember Akela was connected to one of the pubs in the square. Somebody might remember mi dad Cliff Ball. Used to play drums at the legion with Jack Leeming, where I went through a winda an cut all mi arm! Played bass drum with the ESP Band for a while. Played drums and ran the fishing club at the working mens.

I remember the fish an chip shop by the Ball, my favourite, and the fair there. Also riding on our bikes opposite the Ball and later on the faiground. Went to EGS at the time when they annexed the school in Ecclesfield and the jennell from the school to the fairground by the Ball.

Happy Days!!!

Talking about the fishing pond at Ecclesfield.

If any of you have made your fortune and feel you would like to buy back a bit of your youth and make an investment at the same time, the fishing ponds are up for sale!

Take a look at this site and then go to lot 21 http://www.markjenkinson.co.uk/next.asp

A unique opportunity to acquire a fishing pond of 2.59 acres standing in just over 5 acres on the fringe of the historic village of Ecclesfield. The property occupies a delightful position adjoining open fields and looking towards Greno Wood.

Price Guide:

£40,000-50,000

Makes a change from Ebay

Lived in Ecclesfield in the 60's from the age of 7 till 16. - lived at the top of the hill at Tunwell Ave. Remember the ponds at the working mens and round the back the island, and the shrogs(?).

Went to the old scout hut as a cub and then the scouts under the direction of D. Crisp. As I remember Akela was connected to one of the pubs in the square. Somebody might remember mi dad Cliff Ball. Used to play drums at the legion with Jack Leeming, where I went through a winda an cut all mi arm! Played bass drum with the ESP Band for a while. Played drums and ran the fishing club at the working mens.

I remember the fish an chip shop by the Ball, my favourite, and the fair there. Also riding on our bikes opposite the Ball and later on the faiground. Went to EGS at the time when they annexed the school in Ecclesfield and the jennell from the school to the fairground by the Ball.

Happy Days!!!

I remember your Dad calling the Bingo at Ecclesfield WMC around 1964.

Talking about the fishing pond at Ecclesfield.

If any of you have made your fortune and feel you would like to buy back a bit of your youth and make an investment at the same time, the fishing ponds are up for sale!

Take a look at this site and then go to lot 21 http://www.markjenkinson.co.uk/next.asp

A unique opportunity to acquire a fishing pond of 2.59 acres standing in just over 5 acres on the fringe of the historic village of Ecclesfield. The property occupies a delightful position adjoining open fields and looking towards Greno Wood.

Price Guide:

£40,000-50,000

Makes a change from Ebay

I knew someone who drowned themselves in the dam and someone who tried but failed. Supposedly, in the 1920's, a horse and cart slipped into the dam, and was never seen again. How it got to the dam at all beats me. The nearby Willowgarth (with the island in the middle) hails back to Anglo Saxon days when a dwelling was on the island (most likely a wooden one) with a moat around it.

Re The fishing ponds - I wish, and thanks for the information about the island. I can still remember the thrill of being the "great explorer" when I discovered it. I'd forgotten about my dad calling bingo, he did loads of things, I know he used to do the posters as I was fascinated by all his pens and exotic inks.