Ecclesfield 'village'

For once I am stumped with this one. I have never heard of the lady, but that means nothing. Whitham is a good old Ecclesfield name though. If she had a shop on St Michael's Road, it must have been the 1950's, as there were only two shops there in the late 50's. Mr Hurdley's grocery store (motto - 'You'll get it at Alfs'). The other was Mann's drapery store. I shall ask around though. Thanks for that. HI Nigel Looking in the Kellys directory for the 1950;s to 61 there was a Martha Whitham 254 High Greave fruiterer plus a fried fish shop and later a Whitham 17a Colley rd house 9 Martin Cresc, this must have been at the start of Barnsley road right at the bottom of the hill i remember a small building and buying fish and chips there.

Early in the 1950's late in the evening i was coming down from the Capital cinema [ Sheffield lane top]with the family plus a large crowd of cinema goers, having got to Colley road we heard a large crash and shouting a car had crashed through the wall killing if i remember correctly 2 men does any one remember this, also around that time a young lad was killed climbing a electric pylon at Hartley Brook, these were taken down many years ago i think they led from Neepsend power station.

On a lighter note we took cardboard from the back of the Coop to grass sledge down the hill at Hartley brook lots of fun but did not consider the mess we made with the card board [litter louts]

Early in the 1950's late in the evening i was coming down from the Capital cinema [ Sheffield lane top]with the family plus a large crowd of cinema goers, having got to Colley road we heard a large crash and shouting a car had crashed through the wall killing if i remember correctly 2 men does any one remember this, also around that time a young lad was killed climbing a electric pylon at Hartley Brook, these were taken down many years ago i think they led from Neepsend power station.

On a lighter note we took cardboard from the back of the Coop to grass sledge down the hill at Hartley brook lots of fun but did not consider the mess we made with the card board [litter louts]

The young lad was Gordon Spavold . He died in hospital after falling from the pylon. He was known to be 'naughty' and lived on Kinnaird Avenue (I think -- the road opposite the old Essoldo anyway).

I knew him. One day while playing outside his house he suddenly asked if I would like a book and went inside and came out with 'Enquire Within ...' I've no idea why. I'd be about 10 or 11.

For once I am stumped with this one. I have never heard of the lady, but that means nothing. Whitham is a good old Ecclesfield name though. If she had a shop on St Michael's Road, it must have been the 1950's, as there were only two shops there in the late 50's. Mr Hurdley's grocery store (motto - 'You'll get it at Alfs'). The other was Mann's drapery store. I shall ask around though. Thanks for that. HI Nigel Looking in the Kellys directory for the 1950;s to 61 there was a Martha Whitham 254 High Greave fruiterer plus a fried fish shop and later a Whitham 17a Colley rd house 9 Martin Cresc, this must have been at the start of Barnsley road right at the bottom of the hill i remember a small building and buying fish and chips there.

Hello hutch. Yes, I would think you are right. When I was in Ecclesfield Junior School, I was in class with a girl called Susan Stonebanks. Her parents had the shop at the beginning of Colley Road, facing down High Greave, which was a greengrocer's and general store. Maybe Mrs Whitham had that shop, as I only remember that one and the Co-Op at the other side of the road (now Park Dental Care). I remember the chip shop too. Later it became a ladies hairdresser's. A Mrs Whitham had a lock up shed in Ecclesfield Park in the 1950's. From it she sold soft drinks and snacks (sweets and crisps also). She had three sons, and they and our 'gang' used to go on the swings and in the paddling pool in Ecc park. I think it could be the same family. You have also brought back memories of that crash on High Greave. I remember it, as one of the men killed was my late Dad's workmate at Smithywood Coking Plant. His name (I think) was Hansel Hawkins. Wasn't it an icy Winter evening? Thanks for jogging my memory.

I remember all the shops you mention. Before Tingle's had their shop, it was run by Mr Wood, who only had one arm. Filsell's is now a chip shop (had so many owners its beggars belief). The shop at the corner of Mill Road and Church Street was owned by Mrs Hogg (Enid) before Graham and Joyce Stringer had it. In my early days it was Weldon's grocery shop. Sorry, but the only person I knew to have the sweet shop in the cinema building was Mrs Key. She lived at the farm opposite. Mrs Ferris was most likely before her. Sorry, I don't live in Church Street.

Thanks Nigel,Weldons was the name of the shop opposite Park Gates I was trying to remember.We used to buy 5 Robin cigarettes there on our way to Ecclesfield Cinema.Were they related to Weldons farm at top of Priory Rd.

Re shop in cinema building.Mrs Ferris maiden name was Key and she did live in the farm opposite.She is my cousins mum in law and still alive and well and living near Cleethorpes.

I seem to remember another young local lad who was a postman in Ecclesfield called Ivan. Think he was a contempory of yours and lived in the Mill Rd area.

Hello hutch. Yes, I would think you are right. When I was in Ecclesfield Junior School, I was in class with a girl called Susan Stonebanks. Her parents had the shop at the beginning of Colley Road, facing down High Greave, which was a greengrocer's and general store. Maybe Mrs Whitham had that shop, as I only remember that one and the Co-Op at the other side of the road (now Park Dental Care). I remember the chip shop too. Later it became a ladies hairdresser's. A Mrs Whitham had a lock up shed in Ecclesfield Park in the 1950's. From it she sold soft drinks and snacks (sweets and crisps also). She had three sons, and they and our 'gang' used to go on the swings and in the paddling pool in Ecc park. I think it could be the same family. You have also brought back memories of that crash on High Greave. I remember it, as one of the men killed was my late Dad's workmate at Smithywood Coking Plant. His name (I think) was Hansel Hawkins. Wasn't it an icy Winter evening? Thanks for jogging my memory.

Hi Nigel, thanks for the information, and Tonio for his, i remember Stonebanks, we had a shopping ordered from there weekly no super markets then ,my older brother delivered meet on a Sat morning for the butcher at the bottom of Tunwell cannot remember the name.

Hi Nigel, thanks for the information, and Tonio for his, i remember Stonebanks, we had a shopping ordered from there weekly no super markets then ,my older brother delivered meet on a Sat morning for the butcher at the bottom of Tunwell cannot remember the name.

hutch, I had forgotten about the butchers shop. I think the name was Barker. If you remember Ecclesfield cinema (another Essoldo), you will remember there being two shops in the frontage. The Barker family had the one on the left, before they moved to High Greave. It was a very small shop, due to the double staircase in the cinema, from balcony to entrance. One part of it led to double doors at the cinema side. The other shop was quite large, as it was a single staircase at that side of the balcony.

Thanks Nigel,Weldons was the name of the shop opposite Park Gates I was trying to remember.We used to buy 5 Robin cigarettes there on our way to Ecclesfield Cinema.Were they related to Weldons farm at top of Priory Rd.

Re shop in cinema building.Mrs Ferris maiden name was Key and she did live in the farm opposite.She is my cousins mum in law and still alive and well and living near Cleethorpes.

I seem to remember another young local lad who was a postman in Ecclesfield called Ivan. Think he was a contempory of yours and lived in the Mill Rd area.

I am not sure whether the Weldon's at the shop were related to the family at Hall Farm, whose eldest son was my age and died an early teenager. Mrs Ferris must have followed Mrs Key into the cinema shop. Mrs Key always dressed in black and had white hair, tied in a bun at the back. Mr Key lost a leg, but it did not stop him doing anything. They were a nice couple, and we always went in the shop before going in the cinema. The shop was a wonderland of chocolate etc. It smelled of chocolate - a pity the ration books were in force during our early days. Mrs Key would slip us a couple of 'spice' though. There's nothing like that here anymore. I wonder what memories the young people today will have. They certainly won't be like we had. Ah well, that's progress. I don't remember Ivan at all, but you are getting there. I almost forgot. Did you know that in the 17/1800's Key's Farm (opposite cinema) was a public house named The Plough, and that there was a Toll Bar on the road outside?

I am not sure whether the Weldon's at the shop were related to the family at Hall Farm. Their eldest son was my age and died an early teenager. Mrs Ferris must have followed Mrs Key into the cinema shop. Mrs Key always dressed in black and had white hair, tied in a bun at the back. Mr Key lost a leg, but it did not stop him doing anything. They were a nice couple, and we always went in the shop before going in the cinema. The shop was a wonderland of chocolate etc. It smelled of chocolate - a pity the ration books were in force during our early days. Mrs Key would slip us a couple of 'spice' though. There's nothing like that here anymore. I wonder what memories the young people today will have. They certainly won't be like we had. Ah well, that's progress. I don't remember Ivan at all, but you are getting there. I almost forgot. Did you know that in the 17/1800's Key's Farm (opposite cinema) was a public house named The Plough, and that there was a Toll Bar on the road outside?

Hi Nigel,I'll talk to Mrs Ferris the Keys daughter or grandaughter later and see what she knows about "The Plough" She lived in the red bricked house which is now the cattery until about 25 yrs ago

and her father had the farm there or there abouts.

Do you remember the little sweet shop opposite the bottom of Greaves Rd. In the 50s and 60s they sold penny drinks from a soda fountain, but only 1 flavour,a kind of burdoch.

Hi Nigel,I'll talk to Mrs Ferris the Keys daughter or grandaughter later and see what she knows about "The Plough" She lived in the red bricked house which is now the cattery until about 25 yrs ago

and her father had the farm there or there abouts.

Do you remember the little sweet shop opposite the bottom of Greaves Rd. In the 50s and 60s they sold penny drinks from a soda fountain, but only 1 flavour,a kind of burdoch.

Tonio - Yes I do remember the shop opposite Greaves Road. Strangely enough it was Mrs Greaves who kept it. The building itself dates back to the 1400's. The two shops on its front (Mrs Greaves and Miss Siddons) were a much later addition. When you went in Mrs Greaves shop, you had to go down a couple of steps. You'll laugh at this, but at one time, the bedroom floor sloped so much that the bed had to be fastened by a rope to the window frame, to keep it still. It is still a private dwelling. Do you remember the cottage that stood between Key's Farm and the red bricked house, before the present bungalow was built there? My relatives lived in it at one time, but I remember Mr & Mrs Steele living there. Mr & Mrs Salt lived in the red bricked house when I was a kid.

I attended Ecclesfield Infant school in the early 70s then went on to Ecclesfield Juniors,at the time if im correct was called Ecclesfield Town Junior School.

We use to go apple scromping in the Bells Orchard at the gates of Ecclesfield park (common end).

Built a den behind the advertising boards that were on the wasteland behind the old co op (now Halifax) I remeber the old Euco Market (now new co op).

Remember the old police station on the high street and the old petrol station oposite the post station.

Woodcocks (i think) on stocks hill we use to call it the shorteage shop because the old woman always use to claim whatever you wanted was in short supply.

Spent may saturdays on the putting green in the park and paddling in the sludge in the paddling pool.

When winter came it was out woth the plastic bags for a true ride of death down the hill that was near the park wall,went head first into the stream many times.

These were the days when kids were kids and we knew how to make our own entertainment all you need were plastic bags for the winter and a good bit of rope for the tarzan swing in the summer,,happy days.

I remember scromping apples from the gardens at the back of Bank house it would be in the school dinner break, we were eating them in the opening at the side of Hobson butchers shop, at that time it was an open yard we could hear the butcher sweeping up and washing the same yard when the next thing a bucket of slops came over the wall

and we were in direct line, maybe he knew we were there?

Sweets came off the ration for the final time 6 Feb 1953 [had been off for a short time a year or 2 before that,i had a shilling [5p] to spend at the shop opposite of the school drive, so Spangles it was i think 4 pkts?