Geo bassett

hi I wondering if any one can help me with some research into an old tin i have got.it says GEO BASSETT and co ltd of P ortland street sheffield. I was wondering if it has anything to do with the bassetts company of today.

any help would be most gratefull. the tin has a patent number on it and a picture of a lady in a crinoline dress. it also says workbox on the lid of the tin

hope to hear from someone soon. many thanks

Yes it is the same George Bassett and was in Portland st in 1876.

If you look on pictures of sheffield.com you will find photos

I, Think it would be Bassets licorice factory.I had an aunt who worked there. They could eat as much as they liked, but couldn't take any home, so they wrapped it round their waists under their overalls.

I have good memories of Bassetts at the end of Beulah road in Owlerton.

My sister worked there in the canteen but was conscripted into the ATS when she was 18.

One time she was on leave she took me as a small child around the factory and I came back with so many sweets that they gave me, I couldn't carry them all.

The factory lasses as we called them in those days were a great crowd, hard working, so full of life and a good laugh.

My next door neighbour worked there as a 'licorice stirrer'.

What a job title?

He could tell a few good stories being one of the few men working in the factory.

Happy Days!

I lived at the top of Browning Road until 1959, and one of my memories is the Bassett's 'hooter' at 12 oclock.

My mother worked there just after the war (WW2) and yes, she was one of the guilty ones who wrapped large sheets of licorice in her 'pinny'. I also remember a big bag of allsorts every Friday. Still eat allsorts once in a while, but they are not the same.

Guest poppins

My Uncle also worked there in the 50s/60s Jack Coyle was his name, they gave him a watch when he retired.

I used to work at Bassetts in 1983 till 1991. I really enjoyed it. Every other friday night we used to get ready to go the the crown on penistone road after we had done work at ten. they were good memoriesthere. Did anyone else work at bassetts during that time I would like to here from you. My name is Irene and Im now A Senior care assistant/acting team leader for the elderly. Please get in touch if you worked in between them times.:clap:

Originally posted by sugarbear264

I used to work at Bassetts in 1983 till 1991. I really enjoyed it. Every other friday night we used to get ready to go the the crown on penistone road after we had done work at ten. they were good memoriesthere. Did anyone else work at bassetts during that time I would like to here from you. My name is Irene and Im now A Senior care assistant/acting team leader for the elderly. Please get in touch if you worked in between them times.:clap:

My sister inlaw anne reynolds worked at Bassetts

My mum worked at Bassetts in the 50s and 60s in the chip and r

ock department, her name was Lily Turton, anyone remember?

My Mum worked there in the 60s, her name was Ada Smith, the tin mentioned sounds quite old, these are very collectable now, it might be worth getting it valued.

i worked at bassetts from 1988 to 1998...i worked in gum deposit... i also used to live just around the corner on harewood road when i was little before they pulled all the houses down and built a nice new big leisure centre.