Moving from Leeds to Sheffield

Hi

How is sheffield to live in? what are the best areas are people still friendly?

Hi

How is sheffield to live in? what are the best areas are people still friendly?

yes a great city moving forward

Brilliant place, but you need to narrow it down a bit to which areas you are looking at.

Jim

Best move you'll ever make - just tall folk what you want and I'm sure you'll get loads of sound advice.

It will be like trading an Aston Martin for Daewoo, dont do it!!!!!!

It will be like trading an Aston Martin for Daewoo, dont do it!!!!!!

I just moved from Leeds to Sheff for uni and like it so far, although I haven't really been out of the city centre area, so dunno what the other areas are like. We just rented a house for next year in Hunter's Bar which seems like a nice area.

My first impressions were that the city centre is not as big as Leeds' and not as many shops (though I suppose that's why Meadowhall is there). The people are defo friendlier than in Leeds though! :)

You need to live on Ecclesall Road!! I love it! Came here to go to uni and stuck around - most people do. I tried livng in other places nearby but always come back to Ecclesall Road! It's not the cheapest but its great! xx

funny, i used to dream of living on eccy road, but havin heard many complaints of noisy neighbours, i've rethought. I'm quite happy in Manor, even though everyone else seems to think its awful. depends what you want i guess. My friend lives on ecky road, she's a student and she said their nextdoor neighbours got broken into this week, and their house was tried too. i like sheffield lots though

My first impressions were that the city centre is not as big as Leeds' and not as many shops

We (Sheffield, that is) probably have the same number of one way systems though;).

Most of the break in's tend to happen when students leave their doors unlocked!! Lots of my friends have done it! I quite like noisy neighbours! Just join in with their party and make lots of new friends! If you want a bit of life go for eccy road - otherwise try somewhere else! Eccy Road is full of people and bars and restaurants and shops and is very easy access to the centre of town. Whichever you pick - I hope you enjoy it! xx

Oooo - I almost forgot to say - I actually grew up in Leeds before I moved here for uni and I've found Sheffield to be much more friendly and it seems to have more of a community feel. Give it a try! x

I echo all the above- (apart from the car reference)!

My sister lived in Leeds for years and hated the place- yes, there are more shops, but if you miss them they are not that far away.

Sheffield has always been a friendly place, so ignore the grumblies on here- and there are lots of good places apart from Ecclesall Road.

Depends on your work, travel needs etc.

Have a read of the property threads- you may get some ideas there.

Despite people from Sheffield "hating" Leeds I loved it, lived there for four years and worked there for a further four on top and I still think of it as my second home. (Going up for a weekend this weekend!)

Sheffield is different - it's more... well it reminds me of leeds in 1991. I suppose it depends on what you like to do.

However the music scene here is second to none at the moment... some great places to go out and listen to them so from that perspective there is nowhere else i'd rather be... leeds is rather bobbins for good venues i find (although the melting pot is good.)

I still go up to leeds to shop occasionally but I think you'll like it here.