Want to join the Territorial Army??

I thought I would do a bit of recruiting for the Territorial Army. I have been in the army for coming up to 2 years now. Joining the TA has got to be the best thing I have done in my life so far.

In the TA you get to do so many things, some that you probably couldn't do in your civilian life - and get paid for it.

I'm in the Infantry and with this you probably get the most varied and exciting training compared with let’s say if you joined the Signals. As well as your weekend training (not every Weekend), each year you get to go on annual 2 week training camp abroad.

In the past 2 years there have been camps to: Cyprus, Gibraltar, Albania, Corsica, and America this year.

All of these you destinations and you get paid for it.

Fitness: If you don't think you are that fit now but would like to be - JOIN. I tell you now you will be fit soon after. The training is intense but I believe anybody can get through it IF THEY REALLY WANT TO. When I joined I wasn't that fit to be honest, I have been through what feels like hell and back but the sense of achievement once you complete your weekends is just amazing and you want to go back.

Friends: In the TA you will meet better friends than you could EVER get in civvie street. I have friends I have known ever since a nipper but my army friends are the best.

One thing you must be aware these days - If you are thinking about joining. It doesn't come without risks - once you are a trained soldier you WILL be deployed in to theater. - that’s going to war! I will hopefully be off to Afghanistan soon.

If anybody has any questions you can pm me or post on here and I will be able to answer them. Trust me, if you have the will power to get through your training you will love it.

I thought this was a thread asking volunteers for the Terracotta Army :D

Seriously though, very brave posting this as no doubt it will be hijacked by the anti forces mob :hihi: Anyway, already serving in reserves (RAF) although I am contemplating transferring to either Army or Royal Marines (looking into that).

I fully support what you have said about life in the reserves and would recommend it to anyone who might be interested. Erm, you mentioned the adventure holidays that you can go which aren't part of the training and the tax free bounty you get for each year you serve :) :)

Good luck and hope you get some positive responses :)

AO.

Oh yes -

Each year you serve in the TA you will receive a TAX FREE bounty. This is tax free money paid in to your bank at the end of each financial year and it increments each year you serve.

I think the first is about £400ish, then it's about 800, then years after it is 1000 plus.

Now thats a good holiday isn't it!

Adventure training- So far I have done caving, rock climbing, abseiling, high wire confidence course, canoing, raft building (had a right laugh doing that). Plus on you annual camp there will be adventure training.

Age for joining is 18 to about 32 I think it is.

I was in the forces a long long time ago....

A few years back, I went to the TA, and did their intelligence test. After this they asked me what I would like to do "Be an MP" was my reply.

After a few surprised looks, they told me the results of my test - and I ended up in R.E.M.E :wow:

Never had so much fun, and I got to play with the big boys toys :D

Just a pity that my health went downhill, would have loved to still be there....

Seriously, MarkB is right - its one of the best things you could do.

Just another note, this doesn't take all your free time up. You will go every Tuesday night but if you have work commitments just let them know and they will be fine with that.

As for weekend training -you will probably do 2 or 3 weekends per 2months. Obviously fitness wise you have to put some effort in your own time.

Whenever I see anything about the TA, I can't help thinking of Billy Connolly's description of his experiences!

You will probably find that alot of the older people call the TA stuff like "Toy Army", "SAS" (Sat and Sun), "Weekend Warriors" or whatever.

Since 2002 the TA has change dramatically, we are now deployed to Iraq, to Afghan or where ever in combat roles. in fact 2 people I train/trained with from Sheffield and Barnsley have been seriously injured in Iraq this year...one losing his leg.

So please...don't put the TA down if you don't know what they do, it really winds me up.