Shop Duplication - Woodseats

I notice that the shop that used to be Klick on chesterfield road (Opposite Williams) is going to be a newsagent.

Which is applying to sell alcohol from 0530 to 2330 daily - will need to confirm these times but think its about right

Yet another example of someone coming into Woodseats to start a business which will take trade away from established shops why do they think they can make a go of it when a old established newsagents in that block closed down – it was in what is now the pet shop.

This is the third business to take trade away from the established newsagents in Woodseats in the past year a newsagent opened on Abbey Lane the card shop opened next to the newsagents at the bottom of Woodseats house road.

With all the problems on Woodseats at the moment the last thing we want is shop selling alcohol that is open early and late .

I am perfectly aware that it is their right to open what they want but I wouldn’t have thought it was good business sense to enter a saturated market , I know that Woodseats is changing and the days when we had and could support 4 bakers 5 butchers, 2 barbers, & 6 newsagents etc etc are gone but if we carry on like this we will end up with no shops at all as even the viable ones will have been closed as they cant cope.

Newsagents are a particular case in point as the number nationally is falling dramatically and yet we have someone trying to open another where there are two already plus Tesco plus Spa on Abbey Lane plus the one mentioned above on Abbey Lane

AND THERE ENDETH TODAYS MOAN what do you think

i agree totally with you on this thread, like you stated the business what are there will suffer, but what would you suggest to go there instead of a newsagents, because at woodseats you got the cafe, the petshops, barbers, flowers shops, off licences, cards shops, butcher and fish mongers charity shops, fruit and veg shops, loads of take aways, to name a few. the list is endless, how about a old fashioned sweet shop like the one on abbey lane, i used to go there in my youth just to spend my pocket money.

The thing is if the established businessess are providing all the services that the locals want, then no new business will take their business away from them.

The thing is if the established businessess are providing all the services that the locals want, then no new business will take their business away from them.

Totally agree with that, but I think the point busman is making is that it doesn't benefit a shopping area if people see businesses starting up, failing to make a go of it due to established competition and then closing down :(

There are other services required in the area, rather than competing to supply something that's already well catered for? Having said that, I wish anyone well that's prepared to take a chance on filling a gap they perceive in the market and hope they make a go of it :)

A shoe shop would be good? And a proper toy shop ... since Uncle Arthur's closed down.

The license for the booze has not been given yet and I am thinking about objecting.

There are so many pubs and already 2 off-licences as well as the supermarkets.

Surely people would be better off going to Bargain Booze for alcohol? That's open until more or less midnight and will probably be cheaper.

Just following on about the appropriatness of shops. Has anyone noticed the "Exchange" shop next to Netto has miraculously turned into a discount fireworks shop, as is usual at this time of year. It Always becomes a magnet for kids to hang around (wonder why!!!), and its open till late too, this is just encouraging the bad behaviour we have seen this weekend. Surely these shops ought to be licenced to sell this type of stock as they are so dangerous. Mark my words after the 5th November it will once again turn back into the "Exchange" shop. :mad:

Surely these shops ought to be licenced to sell this type of stock as they are so dangerous. Mark my words after the 5th November it will once again turn back into the "Exchange" shop. :mad:

I think you'll find firework outlets are licensed, in fact the police were out and about checking on that very thing last week.

At least, you should be pleased that they're only selling fireworks during the traditional period, they could be selling them all year round, like the one at the bottom of Eccy Road.

Why not let the market decide?

The problem letting the market decide is that the situation could arise where we loose both the new shop in this case a newsagents and an established one because of the income lost due to the newcommer,

I fully apreciate it is a problem we had a good toyshop before uncle arthurs infact we had two : Ashmores (Think that is right next door to the newsagents near the school) and Williams - yes they did bikes and toys till the midle 70's

2001Louise: the sweet shop on abbey lane went bankrupt becuase unfortunately they just couldn't make enough money from sellling sweets tobacco and cards. Spar and the card shops opposite ended up taking most of their business. I worked there for 3 years and when I first started we used to take around a grand a week on the lottery, and by the time it closed they took less then 100. Everyone ended up going to spar for their fags cos it was slightly cheaper, and there was a wider choice of cards in the new shops across the road. I personally think that with all the new cafes that look a bit more upmarket a 'news and booze' really isn't helping the areas already worsening reputation. I noticed that a couple of days after the new sign went up a bin liner was covering the 'booze' part, has someone damaged it already?

But if the shop that closed was making a profit,

it wouldn't have closed in the first place, shops only

stay open when the public have proved they are needed