Sign in to follow this  

Sheffield DWP offices - network crash

I think the worst I've managed so far is when my software locked out around 50 employees in the Maidenhead office from their email for half a day. Not too bad, though sod's law was the fact that the 50 employees contained my boss, my boss's boss (the COO), the CEO and the CFO. Otherwise known as the people that approve my pay rises!

Interesting, I work in a building with DWP staff and not heard a thing about it :suspect:

Originally posted by Deejay

Interesting, I work in a building with DWP staff and not heard a thing about it :suspect:

They're probably a bit stressed right now mate. They still love you and will no doubt chat to you soon.

However if you get out of the hiding cupboard you might just hear a rumour. ;)

Originally posted by karl101

Apparently they were doing a limited upgrade to test changing 7 computers from Win2000 to WinXP. But someone pressed the wrong button, and the system tried to upgrade all 60,000+. It didn't work.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/26/dwp_network_outage/

That really did make me laugh out loud. Spending 6 months answering Job Centre Plus website emails made me keenly appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of

EDS have DWP over a barrel, and even a **** up like this just means that EDS will now get to charge DWP for fixing the mess.

We spent 14 days without email access at the DWP after DOI, and considering we were answering emails as part of our job, we spent a lot of time playing chess and reading the paper (at the taxpayer's expense naturally).

I work for DWP and our computers were down, so no work for an hour or two but after that it was fixed.

Originally posted by ole1

They're probably a bit stressed right now mate. They still love you and will no doubt chat to you soon.

However if you get out of the hiding cupboard you might just hear a rumour. ;)

Im never in the cupboard these days... We've hired so much eye candy lately Im always helping the new staff members with their computer problems :wink: Tis my job after all as Support :hihi:

eds might have the dwp over a barrel at the moment, but antics like this would indicate to me a change of supplier when the contract is up for renewal.

The problem is all the people who do these things get TUPE'd along with the contract...

Renewal/termination is quite soon I believe.