Sharrowvale Parking Scheme - new thread

I take it you live in the opt-out area at Hunters Bar. The Council included that area in the scheme because they were sure that this parking displacement would happen. The option was left open for the area to opt back into the scheme, I would suggest that this is the only way you are going to get relief form the parking problems.

There you are Rahven. The men who created the problem have a way to help you out of the nightmare they created for you.

All you have to do is to help them push the problem onto other people and you'll be fine (as long as you pay their tax and stick to their rules).

Nice of you to blame the Council when it was the residents themselves who decided that they didn't want to be in the scheme.

Because KATKIN DIDN'T HAVE A PARKING PROBLEM BEFORE YOU CREATED IT!

For goodness' sake!

Nice of you to blame the Council when it was the residents themselves who decided that they didn't want to be in the scheme.

They wouldn't have had to decide if you hadn't had the scheme in the first place.

I didn't live there at the time of the consultation so wasn't a part of it but I assume people decided they didn't want to be in the scheme cause there wasn't a problem. Not until the scheme was implemented elsewhere :)

The option was left open for the area to opt back into the scheme, I would suggest that this is the only way you are going to get relief form the parking problems.

Would this genuinely have an affect on the problems we now have? I am unsure of how these things work but would I be guaranteed to get a parking space within safe walking distance of my house? If not it probably won't do much for me except cost me £36 a year :)

If not it probably won't do much for me except cost me £36 a year

As to whether it would guarantee you a parking space, well that depends upon the particular circumstances of your road - if you're like Botanical, there won't be enough parking spaces for the residents by the time the council has finished reducing the available parking spots, so some of them have had to pay for a permit and still find a pay spot on Ecclesall Rd.

But it might work. Enough people might be bullied into getting rid of their cars to leave the rest of you with enough parking spaces. And you would be "inside" the scheme and therefore the overspill cars would be pushed onto the streets surrounding your area so you wouldn't have them on your road.

It might not even concern you that by supporting the extension of the scheme you are collaborating with the council to force it upon all those who object. That seems to be quite a common attitude - "I'm all right, Jack, and those who don't like it will just have to lump it because we've got the government on our side and we can force our scheme on them".

I didn't live there at the time of the consultation so wasn't a part of it but I assume people decided they didn't want to be in the scheme cause there wasn't a problem. Not until the scheme was implemented elsewhere :)

The option was left open for the area to opt back into the scheme, I would suggest that this is the only way you are going to get relief form the parking problems.

Would this genuinely have an affect on the problems we now have? I am unsure of how these things work but would I be guaranteed to get a parking space within safe walking distance of my house? If not it probably won't do much for me except cost me £36 a year :)

Some said there wasn't a problem, or said that they didn't care how many people parked on their street during the day because they were out at work at that time. Others didn't want to pay for permits.

The Council explained that they thought there would be displacement of parking into the area, but residents still voted to opt out.

My guess is that the overnight parking problem is possibly due to houses in multiple occupancy within the permit area, which currently have only 1 permit. The people who don't have a permit have probably been looking for the nearest available free parking.

Being part of the scheme would mean a small reduction in the overall number of parking spaces on your street. The Council would want to protect junctions with double yellow lines and protect driveways / entrances with waiting restrictions. These restrictions would be advertised, so you'd have the opportunity to comment on them.

No permit scheme can guarantee that you can park near your house, but the situation would probably be better than the one you currently have.

Ok thanks for the info chaps. Given me some things to think about anyway :)

We opted out because the scheme offered no guarantees - other than that we would definitely be much worse off because as part of the scheme you intended to REDUCE the amount of parking available to us AND CHARGE US for the pleasure of still having to scrabble for a parking space which we have NEVER HAD TO DO IN ALL THE 18 YEARS WE'VE LIVED HERE hence YES I BLAME THE COUNCIL!

There wasnt a problem before this stupid scheme was introduced but there certainly is now.

Katkin, I'm sure you will understand that this is how the council intend to force you back into it. There will probably be enough people on your streets willing to be driven like sheep, bleating to be included in the scheme to solve the problems caused by the scheme, to allow the council to claim a mandate to do so.

In the long run, the only way to avoid being forced into the scheme is to destroy it completely, because its existence in one area makes it almost impossible for an adjacent area to be left out, due to the overspill effects

What's needed is some urgent action to make sure folks in your roads realise now that the cause of this problem is the council's actions. You need to make sure when they think of the scheme they feel anger directed at the council, to prevent them thinking of the council's scheme as the solution to their problems. Then I think we should coordinate all the groups in areas on the edge of the scheme to ensure we don't get picked off one by one.

Katkin, I'm sure you will understand that this is how the council intend to force you back into it. There will probably be enough people on your streets willing to be driven like sheep, bleating to be included in the scheme to solve the problems caused by the scheme, to allow the council to claim a mandate to do so.

In the long run, the only way to avoid being forced into the scheme is to destroy it completely, because its existence in one area makes it almost impossible for an adjacent area to be left out, due to the overspill effects

What's needed is some urgent action to make sure folks in your roads realise now that the cause of this problem is the council's actions. You need to make sure when they think of the scheme they feel anger directed at the council, to prevent them thinking of the council's scheme as the solution to their problems. Then I think we should coordinate all the groups in areas on the edge of the scheme to ensure we don't get picked off one by one.

Dont you worry Flectivus- I have vehemently opposed this scheme since we found out about it and I certainly do not intend to give in now. Would be awfully nice if more of the people parking on our streets would do so with care though, to enable more of us to fit.

You've done a better job than we did, by getting out of it at the start (though I would defend our lateness by arguing that we were blindsided by the council's failure to properly consult, whereas you had somebody willing and able to get the message out early).

Seriously, though, we will at some point need to organise opposition throughout the area, not just street by street if we are to beat this thing. Getting the Everton Rd opposition together with the Hunter House Rd group would be a good start.

Drop me a pm if you are interested.

Why has a single yellow line been put, without consultation, where a white H line (paid for by the owner of the garage) already existed?

Result - the garage owner can no longer allow visitors to park on the white H line, while in the garage himself, and the loss of a parking space.

Granma.