Sharrowvale Parking Scheme - new thread

I would dispute your assertion that commuter parking is a "minor" problem in other parts of Sharow. Residents tell the Council that they have major difficulties and have been demanding permit parking for some time.

I'm quite positive that one of those people would be the parking maniac on our street who leaves traffic cones and grey bins to 'save her space' when she goes out and leaves notes on the windscreen asking you 'not to park in HER space in future' if you ever park outside her house.

We have lost 5 spaces on the road outside our house and yes, now we have an issue parking as there are not enough spaces for the residents. Personally neither myself nor my partner had an issue with parking before.

we are about to have some building work and understand that we will need to furnish all of the workmen with visitor passes (I truely hope that the books are unlimited - they haven't arrived yet, although the permit came this week) but what happens if we need a skip - do we need to get special permission ?

The experience in other areas seems to be that being in a permit parking zone is seen as being positive as far as house prices / saleability are concerned. Estate Agents mention it as a selling point.
Really! So now you are using Estate Agents, those bastions of truth and respectability to prop up your moral standing. Straw clutching or what.

Do you think they will mention the fact that you only get one permit per house, when families often need to have more than one car? As that would put an awful lot of people off.

Giving all residents permits may be a selling point. Not giving all residents permits is anything but.

I've seen it before that people say one thing when you consult them and then change their mind when someone knocks on their door and shoves a petition under their nose. If you knew anything about carrying out research, you would know that interviewer influence is a major factor in how survey results can turn out.

That's why I would contend that petitions are not an accurate way to measure local opinion. The fairest and best way to do that is to give people the facts, give them plenty of time to reflect on the proposals and allow them to make their own comments. That's what the Council do.

The facts!!:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Back to reality. You know damn well that the response to anything shoved through the letterbox is going to be minimal. Especially as the 'facts' were not in fact given.

Funny how your very poor survey caries such weight, yet petitions carry none. And as for interviewer influence, there's as much influence with the questions and how they are phrased, like for instance, the lying by ommision you did in your survey. To explain further what I mean by the lying, I shall repeat my post from first page, which as usual, you completely ignored. I hope I don't have to post this 4 times to get a response like last time.

"... the residents were led to believe we would be better off as a result and it was in our interest to OK the scheme.

Not the case. At all.

Planner1 is good in that he takes part on here but is very disingenuous in what he posts at times.

If when we were asked in the consultation,that did we want no commuter parking, parking restricted to one car per household, and no parking by anyone without a permit until 6.30pm [thus meaning those whose car is away during day, say 7am-6pm as my girlfriend's car is, now cannot park outside house when she gets home] and less parking in the street overall? Which is what we got. I reckon they would have had a near 100% response of No Thank You and a lot of other much ruder responses.

We didn't have a parking problem until this ill thought out scheme was introduced. And all along Planner1 insisted these parking schemes [sharrowvale/Broomhill] were for the resident's benefit.

Planner1 would make a great politician. And that's not a compliment.

If you actually want to reduce commuter parking/commuter traffic, make it more attractive to commuters to not drive. Implement a good public transport system, have school buses....

You are using the hitting people with sticks method of encouragement. It doesn't work, it simply annoys people. Use a carrot to change behaviour and you'll get a much better response."

I don't know if this has been mentioned here, but the parking scheme has had a serious impact on pedestrian safety, by putting parking spaces on Sharrow Lane outside the Community Building, it is now difficult to cross safely, as moving traffic is now veering around the cars and taxis that are now parked there, and even once you manage to get past that obstacle you now can't reach the opposite pavement safely as there are parked cars there. It's frankly appalling that such little thought has gone towards the safety of the many people who cross the road there, especially as many people take their children to school that way.

I don't know if this has been mentioned here, but the parking scheme has had a serious impact on pedestrian safety....

Yes!!

I agree

And have you been round the roads that opted out by Hunter House/Penhryn etc

It is even worse there

Parking over junctions etc etc

I dont understand why they opted out but what makes me angry is the lack of double yellows and just simple enforcement around the junctions

Deepak

The fact that the local Councillors are in the opposition party is nothing to do with that of course!

I think it might be something to do with the fact that they both represent the area . maybe they have listened to local people and seen with thier own eyes the mess that you and your traffic planners have created in the area

Does anyone know how often you can apply for another pad of visitors passes ?

On my travels, I noticed no permit parking scheme near London Road / Bramall Lane.

If the council were really concerned about a 'Peripheral Parking Zone' surely they would have instigated one here.

Or, on the other hand, do they not consider this area to be as economically attractive as the easy cash from Broomhill and Sharrowvale?

I also note there is no specific provision for motorcyclists in the Sharrowvale scheme. Nice one!!

On my travels, I noticed no permit parking scheme near London Road / Bramall Lane.

If the council were really concerned about a 'Peripheral Parking Zone' surely they would have instigated one here.

Or, on the other hand, do they not consider this area to be as economically attractive as the easy cash from Broomhill and Sharrowvale?

I also note there is no specific provision for motorcyclists in the Sharrowvale scheme. Nice one!!

I understand that the next area under consideration for a permit scheme , after Crookesmoor is Highfields, which includes the Bramall Lane / London Road area.

REALLY Litotes - your cynicism does you no favours!:roll:

I understand that the next area under consideration for a permit scheme , after Crookesmoor is Highfields, which includes the Bramall Lane / London Road area.

REALLY Litotes - your cynicism does you no favours!:roll:

wouldn't it have made more sense to start in the centre and work out?