Sharrowvale Parking Scheme - new thread

A familar theme emerges! Litotes making statements about a subject area of which he appears to have very little knowledge, re the legal process. Actually the Traffic Regulation Order is advertised at least 21 days in advance of implementation, in the local press (in this case The Star). This gives everyone the opportunity to object if they wish to. And before anyone says -"but no-one reads The Star" - recent figures I read stated it had a circulation of 192,000.

No -its not illegal - the proper legal process has been followed.

We dont buy it and only found out about the scheme because someone else on the street below us put a note on windscreens, otherwise I wouldnt have known and wouldnt have been able to raise my objections - it was only as a result of finding out in this way that I then went on the Star website and complained.

The so-called consultation should have been addressed to every household affected by the proposed changes with sufficient time to raise objections. By the time we got a letter from the council, the introduction of the scheme was a foregone conclusion, it was only the nitty-gritty of the scheme we wre able to object to and basically the options were- accept the scheme and be aware that we will reduce the number of parking spaces by drawing up yellow lines that arent there at present, dont accept the scheme but we might still stick the yellow lines in anyway or totally object to the scheme and we wont put the yelllows in but expect to be overwhelmed with cars from adjacent streets. Coo, right lot of choice there!

The SYL is the standard measure for protecting driveways, because it can be enforced bt the Council's parking attendants.

If the householder had contacted the Council and asked, they would have left the H marking. I'd be very surprised if this one wasn't on the published plans.

They have left the white H marking & added the yellow line!

Why couldn't the Council have contacted the householder?

It is the Council interfering with our lives.

Granma.

Re. getting details from the Council website - not everyone has a pc!!!

Granma.

The option was left open for the area to opt back into the scheme

I take it the same is also available for areas wishing to "opt out" once entrenched within it?

This is discrimination - we want to opt out, and yet we can't.

I take it that's a no:(.

Mind you, typical of a council with a facination with one way streets:rolleyes:

Re. getting details from the Council website - not everyone has a pc!!!

Granma.

All libraries have PC access for anyone who wants it. If anyone is really concerned, they would put a little effort in and find out the required information.

Take a look at the report from December 2006 which went before the appropriate board / cabinet meeting / whatever. It gives a great deal of detail about the objections and comments which various people made. It also gives details of the many changes which were made to the scheme as a result of the objections. So much for the Council not listening.

If 6700 properties had letters and only a few hundred replied - what does that tell you? Even allowing for the empty student properties, it says most people did not feel strongly enough against the scheme to voice an opinion against it.

Any parking scheme will never be all things to all people. Give the scheme a chance - once it is being fully enforced it's likely that things will improve. The areas that opted out may well want to opt back in, as displacement parking on the edges outside the scheme is inevitable.

And yes, - those outside the current zone may well then ask for a scheme of their own - I understand that Highfields area may be considered next, after Crookesmoor.

Give the scheme a chance - once it is being fully enforced it's likely that things will improve. The areas that opted out may well want to opt back in, as displacement parking on the edges outside the scheme is inevitable.

<sarcasm>Wow, what's the winner of tomorrow's 2.30? It must be amazing to be able to predict the future!!</sarcasm>

Do you know where we can submit our applications to opt out?

I have been told that the scheme is only enforced until 6/6.30PM. How would opting in help us if the problem is going on all through the evening and night?

I have been told that the scheme is only enforced until 6/6.30PM. How would opting out help us if the problem is going on all through the evening and night?

I would like to be able to leave my work and come home and park, not have to cruise the streets or park in tescos car park until I am "allowed" to park outside my own house.

And before it is suggested, yes, my wife and I do need a car each.

I would also like to be able to leave my car outside my house on a Saturday, not have to get up at 8.00 to move it.

Dunno, maybe you are happy to have your coming home time and getting up time dictated by the council, but not me!

If 6700 properties had letters and only a few hundred replied - what does that tell you? Even allowing for the empty student properties, it says most people did not feel strongly enough against the scheme to voice an opinion against it.

There are lots of reasons why occupiers would not have responded. The most obvious is that they did not receive, or did not notice, the letter in question. That certainly seems to be the case for myself and a lot of Everton Rd residents to whom I've spoken. Other than that, the commonest response to a plan from the government that people don't like is apathy - most people feel they don't have sufficient eloquence or power for the government to pay any attention to them anyway, so what's the point in objecting? Probably the majority view amongst people I spoke to was: "What's the point in fighting the council over this. We don't want it, but the council want it for their own reasons and they're going to bring it in no matter what we say or do." This was generally said in a tone of bitterness, and often mixed with (sometimes startlingly hostile) invective against the council. Sadly, those people are probably right, but a minority of us are the kind of people to at least put up a fight. Other people probably simply engaged in the common human response known as denial ("I don't have time or energy to fight this so I'll bury my head in the sand and hope it doesn't happen").

Other than that, a lot of non-responders probably had no view on the scheme. It is deceitful to count them as in favour, as the council does, when seeking justification for over-riding by force the views of those who object strongly.

Any parking scheme will never be all things to all people. Give the scheme a chance - once it is being fully enforced it's likely that things will improve. The areas that opted out may well want to opt back in, as displacement parking on the edges outside the scheme is inevitable.

And yes, - those outside the current zone may well then ask for a scheme of their own - I understand that Highfields area may be considered next, after Crookesmoor.

That is the really pernicious nature of schemes like this - once one is established, the parking problem formerly confined to a small area is exacerbated and dumped upon the surrounding areas, creating a need to extend the scheme to protect those areas from the problems created by its introduction.

It can only end in the council extending its control over the whole of the inner residential areas of the city, all because of some minor daytime parking problems in one small confined area.

Ok, typo in my last post. I meant how is opting 'in' going to help.

My point was that on my road the problem isn't because of commuters - it's because of displaced residents from scheme areas. Thus it goes on through the whole night meaning not only do I have to worry about getting a space when I get home from work but also if I dare to take the car out in the evening. I'm not happy to have your coming home time and getting up time dictated by the council at all - but what worries me most at the moment is walking a long way on my own in the dark from my car to my house because my road is now filled with the cars of people who don't even live there throughout the evening and night.

No, I don't agree with this whole thing. Not at all.

As a resident within the scheme that was not present throughout consultation here are my opinions:

I'd say that around 75% of the houses are relatively short term Buy to Let in my area (Wayland Rd). In this case many houses will not have the same occupancy, nor would people have cared about the scheme over a year ago, IF indeed opinion surveys were sent out.

The road has become busier and FASTER on the 'rat run' from Psalter Lane to Ecclesall road after nearly having my door torn off from a taxi rounding and cutting a tight 90 degree corner at 30mph. Denser parking helped impose a speed restriction.

The situation is now a nightmare after 7pm when everyone is needing to park due to around 40% of the spaces missing for yellow lines (yes, ive counted). It wont be long untill roads south of Psalter Lane will be plagued with more cars.

Easing congestion..? What a Joke!! I now take my car to work everyday when i used to walk it in 12 mins... Why...? To get it out of the permit zone on time! So sorry people, ive just added one car to Sheffields traffic problem. Just goes to show how narrow minded these councillers are.

Finally and least commented. I believe house and letting prices will be negatively affected in this area. Im already looking to move out as i was unlucky not to get a permit, and wouldnt consider moving so a permit zone without one. Id be gutted if i were a home owner as the areas desirability will be reduced for familys needing 2 cars.

If anyone is really concerned, they would put a little effort in and find out the required information.

If the council engaged in proper consultations (and were truthful), there would be no need for people to have to go out of their way to find this information.