Old Sheffield Picture Palaces

I recently went in the Weatherspoons Pub at Woodseats, The pub is called the Woodseats Palace, I was amazed to find out it was an old cinema and apparently there was another 2 on Woodseats itself, one was called the Chantry.

Which others do you know of in Sheffield ?

Abbeydale Pictures - Now a bar and snooker club

Heeley Pictures Palace - Where Ponsfords new building is on London Rd

Anymore, there must have been loads in the 50/60s

Hi Micky

I used to go to many of the old cinamas round pitsmoor

ie. the Colliseam on spital hill, now gone. the Sumbeem down at Firvalle now a petrol station, even that is now closed. the Parigon at Firth Park, also the Roxy at Page Hall. the Wicker was a good one as they had double seats for courting couples. this became Studio 7 before being demolished. Do you want me to go on.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to go to the Rex cinema at the bottom of Mansfield rd. also one on the arbourthorne estate near the fishing pond, my sister took me there in the thirties.

Also, there was a cinema down Duke st.below Talbot rd. on the left hand side going down. One night, we were sat in there and a choc. Ice came over the top and fell into my lap, I promptly ate it then just after, a girl came to us and asked if we had seen a choc. Ice, We said no as we hadn't any money to buy her another one!!!

• 2 weeks later...

See the link, southey green Tesco is on the site of the old Essoldo. Saw Mary Poppins there. The Lane Top Essoldo changed from or to the Capitol if my ravaged memory is right. Saw Incredible Journey and the original film about flubber, can't remember the name. Just something funny, once went to Winter Garden at Brid and there were 2 films on the same bill, first was Henry Cooper having his face rearranged by Cassius Clay, blood everywhere, followed by .....Bambi. There were tears for Bambi's mother when she was shot but I can't remember any emotion for poor "Enry!!

• 6 months later...

The Heeley Green Cinema which is now a snooker hall and where my grandmother, my mother and I worked at different times in the past. The Heeley Coliseum which became a Fine Fare supermarket back in the sixties. And yes, The Heeley Picture Palace which is now Pondsfords. This was where, as children we spent some wonderful Saturday afternoons at the kids matinees.