The Closed Shop - Reet Ale Pullin Out

They are now doing a full food menu and it looks very nice indeed. Service from 4pm on weekdays.

Also Thursdays are cheap cocktail nights... All cocktails ÂŁ4.50.

I hope it's successful but still seems a little quiet.

Guest makapaka

I go in the closed shop.

I can’t see any improvement in the place under the new ownership so far but it’s still an ok pub in a good location.

They’ve taken out the pool table - replaced by more chairs, the quiz machine - replaced by a service area and I think the juke box - replaced by nothing I believe.

The house lager is awful but some of the beers are decent. They’ve started stocking modelo which is a nice drink but nigh on double price of a pint.

I’ll still go in - it’s ok - but there’s a bit of a “it wasn’t broke so why fix it” thing going on.

As Ive been going in to the CC nigh on 30 years so I've been trying hard to like it.

Nothing wrong with the staff who are putting in a real effort, but somethings gone wrong with the atmosphere in there and every time we've gone in we've found ourselves decamping to the Hallamshire after a pint.

Maybe with a fresh influx of students and when the food is up and running, it'll feel busy again. I know they've been to see Chis Beech about supplying the meat so it'll be good quality.

Some very nice Peak District photos are on the wall now

As Ive been going in to the CC nigh on 30 years so I've been trying hard to like it.

Nothing wrong with the staff who are putting in a real effort, but somethings gone wrong with the atmosphere in there and every time we've gone in we've found ourselves decamping to the Hallamshire after a pint.

Maybe with a fresh influx of students and when the food is up and running, it'll feel busy again. I know they've been to see Chis Beech about supplying the meat so it'll be good quality.

Some very nice Peak District photos are on the wall now

Agree with this - can't quite put my finger on what's wrong. Hope it'll settle down as the staff get to know the punters better.

Agree with this - can't quite put my finger on what's wrong. Hope it'll settle down as the staff get to know the punters better.

Same here.

As far as I can tell Hayley the manager is using the same staff team as The Norfolk Arms in Grenoside where she managed previously - hence although the staff are hardworking enough they tend to have very little in common with the regulars and seem to lack the personality of the old staff team.

Other slight oddities are the candles on tables with half closed curtains and the lights slightly dimmed - makes it look a bit gloomy - it was always bright and welcoming.

The sign outside says they're open until midnight every night except Sunday yet they always shut between 11 and half past.

Oh and they appear to be advertising an event but haven't put a date on the poster.

I'm not really a lager/pilsner drinker but I think the Stancill Pilsner is pretty decent as far as that style goes. Never tried the lager. They could do with a really hoppy pale ale, APA or IPA at around 5 - 6% on their cask offering though.

They have Dank in cans. Must be in keg or cask too?

They have Dank in cans. Must be in keg or cask too?

Wasn't when I was in on Sunday.

---------- Post added 08-10-2017 at 17:18 ----------

Went in last night and really liked the vibe. The music wasn't too loud, all the seats were taken but it wasn't rammed and I actually found a Stancil beer that I really liked.

The free taster of homemade Scotch egg was really nice as well.

My companions really liked it as well so I think it will continue to be on our Saturday night rota.