:wave: Who remembers the small department store that used to be near the main post office in town. I used to go in with my mum and dad when I a kid. they sold bads...tv's...things like that:thumbsup:

Originally posted by TREK

:wave: Who remembers the small department store that used to be near the main post office in town. I used to go in with my mum and dad when I a kid. they sold bads...tv's...things like that:thumbsup:

It burnt down, Trek. 20 yrs or more ago, IIRC.

The wiggies building was approx where the Superdrug / bookies is in FitzAlan Sq, these days

PT

I remember it burning down in 1984 or 5 as I was at college just round the corner. Amusing thing was that they had a full page ad a few days later asking people who had bought goods on credit or hire purchase that day to contact them as they had not had a chance to process the paper work.:loopy:

Originally posted by max

I remember it burning down in 1984 or 5 as I was at college just round the corner. Amusing thing was that they had a full page ad a few days later asking people who had bought goods on credit or hire purchase that day to contact them as they had not had a chance to process the paper work.:loopy:

April 1984.

I was working as a Trainee Manager in the Trueform shoe-shop on Waingate and we stood in the doorway and watched it burn down.

I remember, as a bus inspector, having to help divert all the buses that normaly went through Fitzallan Sqare, what a job that was!

I remember it burning down too.. the old picture house at the other end burnt down just before wiggys was it called the globe?

No, honeyplanet,

it was the Classic cinema, which used to be the "electric picture house" if i recall correctly.

Under that gaudy colourful frontage, there was some really intricate architecture. if you find books of old sheffield, there are often photos in them of the old cinema.

PT

Ah yes that was it thanks plain talker.. I only have vauge memorys of it my sister used to take me there when I was about 5 i remember there was a big globe shape on the front. I was hartborken when it all razed to the ground

I think the theatre was at one time called the" News Theatre"

In the 50's.It had continuous running shows ,you could go in anytime and leave anytime

Didn't there used to be a Snooker Hall in the basement, which eventaully became an Indian restaurant (Indus?)