Sign in to follow this  

New postal charges for envelopes larger than A5

The Post Office is planning to bring in new postal charges next year which will include increases based upon envelope size even if there is no increase in weight!

Comparing the lowest weight category (<100g) the following will apply:

..................................1st / 2nd Class

<A5 = Letter..................30p / 21p

A5<A4 = Large Letter......42p / 35p

>A4 = Packet.................94p / 80p

"Letters" will only be up to a maximum of 5mm thick.

Currently all of these sizes (and less than 100g) should cost 30p/21p

Full information is here:

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/rm/content1?catId=400105&mediaId=18600175#10500119

Thats still cheap compared to any other way of sending your letter/package.

The faster we get a national rival to royal mail, the better. This is getting ridiculous.

Originally posted by nick2

Thats still cheap compared to any other way of sending your letter/package.

It is a 300% increase in the cost of sending an envelope slightly larger than A4 and weighing less than 100g.

Originally posted by cgksheff

It is a 300% increase in the cost of sending an envelope slightly larger than A4 and weighing less than 100g.

Yeah, but it's still cheaper than say UPS (£27 to take a 100g letter from Sheffield to London is their cheapest rate) or any of the other couriers.

The other couriers only charge these prices, though, because they are prevented by Law from competing directly with the Post Office.

The PO lose their monopoly on letter delivery from next April and it will be interesting to see if any of the couriers take up the challenge. I believe a subsidary of TNT are already planning.

Originally posted by 1Man&hisBMW

The faster we get a national rival to royal mail, the better. This is getting ridiculous.

Too right! :clap:

Originally posted by cgksheff

The Post Office is planning to bring in new postal charges next year which will include increases based upon envelope size even if there is no increase in weight!

I understand they've been having profit problems over the past few years, but I was hoping they'd having a better roadmap to increased revenue than simply screwing over the customer :rant:

Originally posted by 1Man&hisBMW

A competitor will come along, undercut the Post Office, the Post Office will go out of bussiness and we will be back to having one company running the show, but a private one, with shareholders, not customers, as the main concern. Prices will rocket up and everyone will be moaning about how we should never have got rid of the Post Office.

Remember how enthusiastic everyone was about de-regulating the busses, now look where we are, one company runs the whole thing and prices go up 6 times a year.

A competitor will come along, undercut the Post Office, the Post Office will go out of bussiness and we will be back to having one company running the show, but a private one, with shareholders, not customers, as the main concern. Prices will rocket up and everyone will be moaning about how we should never have got rid of the Post Office.

Remember how enthusiastic everyone was about de-regulating the busses, now look where we are, one company runs the whole thing and prices go up 6 times a year.

There will be more than one rival that will come along. I think the market could sustain 3 or 4 delivery services.

Originally posted by t020

There will be more than one rival that will come along. I think the market could sustain 3 or 4 delivery services.

I just don't see how that would work, would they have seperate post boxes and post offices, would you get more than one delivery of post a day ?

I think one company will come out on top, the one who can afford to price the others out of the market.

I just don't see how that would work, would they have seperate post boxes and post offices, would you get more than one delivery of post a day ?

I think one company will come out on top, the one who can afford to price the others out of the market.

Yes, separate post boxes and offices is certainly possible and the market is large enough for a few competitors, so I don't think a monopoly would occur.