Old Stones brewery

The brewery was at the bottom of Rutland Road where it meets Burton Road/Neepsend Lane. On the opposite corner was the pub (can't think of its name) where, of course they served the best pint of Stones in Sheffield. I don't know who's there now, but I'm sure another poster will know.

Edited by carosio

The brewery was at the bottom of Rutland Road where it meets Burton Road/Neepsend Lane. On the opposite corner was the pub (can't think of its name) where, of course they served the best pint of Stones in Sheffield. I don't know who's there now, but I'm sure another poster will know.

I grew up around that area, don't know what's there now, but the pub opposite was called the Gardeners Rest and the name of the one on the corner was The Crown.

Posted this before clicking on Muddycoffees link.

Edited by Corn2
addition.

The stones brewery is still there. Just not in use.

You can still see the top of the brewing vessels and things.

There are some pics taken last year by me of the site on the neepsend section of my pub locator website.

http://thewookie.co.uk/pubs/neepsend.htm

Thanks muchly:)some great pictures!

Edited by Nicesheff

The pub opposite is the Gardener's Rest, but I was always under the impression that the Forest was known as the 'brewery tap'? Anyway, the best pint of Stones in Sheffield was in the Lord Nelson ;)

The best pint of Stones I ever drunk, bar none, was at the Castle in Bolsterstone.

I used to keep a CAMRA Good Beer Guide in my car and used to visit the pubs listed in it. The Castle was one pub featured in the early 1990s and so I ventured out to try a pint.

The Stones was dispensed via gravity (not 'switch' or pumped) and it was like something from another planet. Light, almost like bubbles but with a beautiful, full-bodied taste.

There, I'm salivating at the memory now....,

The pub opposite is the Gardener's Rest, but I was always under the impression that the Forest was known as the 'brewery tap'? Anyway, the best pint of Stones in Sheffield was in the Lord Nelson ;)

To that I acquiesce to your more experienced judgement, but due to the pub's proximity to the brewery I would expect that its beer would be representative of a good pint of Stones, and to be under the constant scrutiny of the brewery staff who would presumably be regularly sampling the quality.