Electrician advice needed0

Hi. My partner is living in a house that she has rented off her friend! All is well apart from the electrics! The fuses are the old style with fuse wire and its more or less a mix of one new style circuit breaker, 3 fuse wire fuses and one that's in a ceramic housing! Shouldn't this all be updated if in a rented house? Advice on this if you w:loopy:ill. Thanks

There is no requirement for wire fuses to be replaced by circuit breakers if they are in a safe condition.

If your friend is concerned, perhaps she could ask the landlord to arrange an electrical inspection by an approved contractor .... and that a copy of the report is added to the lease documents?

Landlords are advised (not necessarily required) to have a Periodic Inspection of their electrics at least every 5 years.

hi i think it should have a electrical inspection ticket ta jeff

Correct Jeff.

If your renting out a property it needs a periodic inspection and test cert which is renewable every 5 years.

Gas cert every year, which reminds me.............Corgigasman, I'll be contacting you very shortly!!!!

Correct Jeff.

If your renting out a property it needs a periodic inspection and test cert which is renewable every 5 years..........

It is highly recommended, but not obligatory.

I would not rent a property without having a Satisfactory Test Report and I would advise any landlord to be responsible and have Periodic Inspections, but there is no legal obligation.

Different rules come into play when dealing with multiple occupancy buildings, but not in this case.

Edited by cgksheff

It is highly recommended, but not obligatory.

Different rules come into play when dealing with multiple occupancy buildings, but not in this case.

I didn't realise that!!!

I've had mine done anyway. Better safe than sorry when it comes to electrics.

Correct Jeff.

If your renting out a property it needs a periodic inspection and test cert which is renewable every 5 years

do you not need them at change of tenant too, or have they changed that?

---------- Post added 02-01-2013 at 23:19 ----------

a picture of the board would let us point out anything obviously dangerous

how would that work?