What more evidence do we need to change our voting system?

Sounds perfectly reasonable.

A few possibly borderline cases to consider:

The fixed term parliament act.

The changes (arising from a combination of acts) to the system for determining constituency boundaries and simultaneously reducing the number of MPs

Any changes to the means by which people are selected for the upper house.

With last I have put in bold do you think this idea worth considering, practical or would work;

Get rid of all that are in it now and have fully elected House with one elected representative from all the Local Councils in the UK. That would then mirror the local politics of the UK. I think it would also give a fairer representation of the local areas to keep in check the UK Government. This would also cut the number of people in the House by around 400 and no longer rely on privilege.

With last I have put in bold do you think this idea worth considering, practical or would work;

Get rid of all that are in it now and have fully elected House with one elected representative from all the Local Councils in the UK. That would then mirror the local politics of the UK. I think it would also give a fairer representation of the local areas to keep in check the UK Government. This would also cut the number of people in the House by around 400 and no longer rely on privilege.

I have no decent idea what to do about the upper house. I don't like the appointed system. I liked the hereditary system even less. I'm not sure I want 2 comparably powerful houses of parliament battling each other.

How the removal of double-jeopardy from UK law (Criminal justice act 2003?).

I've lost track, but I think the right to trial by jury escaped around that time as well.

Right to a jury trial is still alive and well - it's the most important clause in Magna Carta.

For certain summary offences, it's magistrates only though, but the law is the Magistrates Act 1980 I think.

Right to a jury trial is still alive and well - it's the most important clause in Magna Carta.

For certain summary offences, it's magistrates only though, but the law is the Magistrates Act 1980 I think.

As I understand it one can, at least in principle, in England and Wales, get up to 6 months in prison without a jury being involved these days.

Where as the Magna Carta (article 39) is pretty clear that a jury trial should be required for any term of imprisonment.

Maybe I've misunderstood?

And double-jeopardy?

Edited by unbeliever

As I understand it one can, at least in principle, in England and Wales, get up to 6 months in prison without a jury being involved these days.

Where as the Magna Carta (article 39) is pretty clear that a jury trial should be required for any term of imprisonment.

Maybe I've misunderstood?

And double-jeopardy?

Some offences are summary only. These are not jury trials. Either way offences are in the mag. court, but either the mag. or the defendant can request a jury trial.

Magna Carta provides that you may be judged by your peers - well the magistrates are your peers I suppose. Personally as long as the safeguards in the Habeus corpus act and petition of right are there I'm fairly happy with it.

French system: vote for MPs as usual. If none gains > 50% of votes cast, have a second 'run-off' vote between the top two only.

French system: vote for MPs as usual. If none gains > 50% of votes cast, have a second 'run-off' vote between the top two only.

The French political system certainly has less of the binary nature of the British system, but wasn't this what the AV vote was about, or is that too simplistic?

The UK needs to ensure single-member constituencies and has always had simple "X" voting.

AV necessitates multiple vote casting; and the voter would not know which candidates would occupy the top two places.

The UK needs to ensure single-member constituencies and has always had simple "X" voting.

AV necessitates multiple vote casting; and the voter would not know which candidates would occupy the top two places.

Good point. Is there a UKIP policy related to the electoral system?

Good point. Is there a UKIP policy related to the electoral system?

Probably, given that 4m votes last year led to just one MP!

That's all but identical to AV.

That's all but identical to AV.

No, because AV is a one-time double vote, cast before one knows which candidates will come 1st and 2nd.