Higgins versus Selby

It's strange how Stephen Lee copped for it, but John Higgins got off lightly

From what I understand there are slight, but significant, differences between the 2 cases

Is this John Higgins a relative of Alex (hurricane) Higgins, and what has he done to be disliked so much? Sorry don't get much snooker news over here.

Is this John Higgins a relative of Alex (hurricane) Higgins, and what has he done to be disliked so much? Sorry don't get much snooker news over here.

no, completely different families, alex was northern irish, john is scottish and younger generation

just like joe davis and steve davis were completely different families

No relation at all.John Higgins is Scottish.

He was filmed by a Sunday Paper as part of a sting operation,discussing how easy it would be to achieve a given score in matches as required by betting syndicates.

His defence was that his manager at that time arranged the meeting and he went along with the discussion as he was frightened.He did not report this approach to any authority.

This excuse wasn't at all convincing and he received a short ban as a slap on the wrist.Many think he should have been kicked out of the professional game.

He was filmed by a Sunday Paper as part of a sting operation,discussing how easy it would be to achieve a given score in matches as required by betting syndicates.

His defence was that his manager at that time arranged the meeting and he went along with the discussion as he was frightened.He did not report this approach to any authority.

This excuse wasn't at all convincing and he received a short ban as a slap on the wrist.Many think he should have been kicked out of the professional game.

Indeed infact I think you may be being a little kind to him there did he not,in a very confident relaxed manor agree he would be up to fixing a match and boasting about how easy it would be provided the money was right?

You don't say why he was frightened. If you thought you were dealing with the Russian mafia on their own turf you might well be frightened. Oh, and the 'stinger' is currently serving a jail sentence.

Met John Higgins once. Well I say met, I was in the barbers and he brought his two sons in to get a trim. 45 minutes later he was told the price of both haircuts would be £32 (or something along those lines), and he huffed and puffed before finally paying.

Very miserable bloke. Money mad.

no, completely different families, alex was northern irish, john is scottish and younger generation

just like joe davis and steve davis were completely different families

I realised he was a younger generation, I was thinking maybe a son. Thanks for the info, I was curious as I remember Alex from his heydays, quite a character.

---------- Post added 03-05-2017 at 10:16 ----------

Thanks for the info. About cheating in sports, a lot of people think a certain Russian tennis pro should not be allowed back, but she was.

There was only one Alex Higgins.

The game has moved on since his day, but he undoubtedly made a big contribution to the popularity of the game.

Perhaps only Ronnie has anything like his charisma.