Gleadless War Memorial - Frank Haigh?

beady

When I was a nipper I used to visit my elderly aunt in Gleadless and used to pass a War Memorial set back off the road - (Ridgeway Road)? I think near Gleadless Church? I vividly remember a soldier holding a rifle with bayonet attached in a charging? pose. If my memory is faulty I'm going back plenty of years. I can't get to see if it's still there - but if it is and anyone's got the time, can anyone tell me if the name Haigh appears in the Roll of Honour. I think my aunt's brother, Frank died in France in October, 1916 - he was in the Coldstream Guards and I presume died in the Somme offensive which started a few months earlier. She was very very attached to him and never got over his loss. It's asking a lot but if anyone's passing (they might even be carrying a camera)?? I'd love to know - he was born and brought up in that area. Thanks.:help:

Hi.

Sheffield History Reporter No; 121

On the 90th anniversary of the end of WW1, Dean Hill’s project to record all the names on the city’s war memorials has reached the stage were it can be made available in Local Studies.The Sheffield Roll Call is an alphabetical listing of nearly 20,000 Sheffield men whose names appear on over 160 War Memorials and Rolls of Honour. Inevitably it is likely to be incomplete. Some memorials which are known to have existed have been lost for ever but others may be rediscovered as a result of this project. If you know of any ‘missing’ memorial, please let Local Studies or Dean Hill.

Reference: Hill, Dean – Sheffield Roll Call; Great War of 1914-1918. 2008. (940.467 SQ)

Dean is on this forum.

Tuppie

Hi Beady,

just been tipped off about this.

I have pics of the memorial if you want one.

On his medal index card it states he was awarded the Victory Medal, British Medal and the 1915 Star.

He landed in France on Tuesday 15th August 1915.

He was killed in action on Saturday 5th August 1916, and buried in Sucrerie Cemetery, Colinchamps.

His name is also on a headstone in Gleadless Christ Church graveyard, of which i have a pic of.

And best of all i have a pic of the man himself, not a very clear image, but an image none the less.

If you want these images just PM me your e-mail address and i'll get them off to you.

Dean.

Hello Dean, I hope you are well. When we were recording and photographing memorials I remember collecting the old Sandersons Memorial on Newhall Road. I drove past the other day and although not a hundred percent sure, it looks as though the building that housed the bronze plaques has been demolished. If this is so, do you know if the memorial was saved?

Regards Ralph.

Thanks to everyone who have helped with my query - this forum amazes me with the kindness of folks. The photos above take me back a long way and to actually get the info on Frank's service and unhappy outcome like '000's of other poor souls has been quite 'sobering'. How refreshing though that the memorial is still well tended - we can't afford to forget what these folks did for us!