Sign in to follow this  

Sheaf Training

My daughter is going to an open day at Sheaf Training tomorrow and we are not sure how to get there. We live in Hillsborough so any directions via bus would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

The buses listed below go from sheff centre so hope this helps a bit

Buses from Town:

Sheaf Upper Site -

97a / 49 Parson Cross - 97 Hillsborough - 22 Southey Green

Sheaf Lower Site -

39 / 38 Meadowhall - 93 Firth Park

Buses to Town:

Sheaf Upper Site -

97a Totley Brook - 97 Totley - 49 Heardings - 22 Nether Edge

Sheaf Lower Site -

39 / 38 Chancet Wood - 93 Woodhouse

The website may help more, I think its got a map - http://www.sheaftraining.co.uk/

Hope tomorrow goes well.

From Hillsborough you get the 97/97a (its the one that goes to NG Hosp) you get off at the bottom of the road & walk up the hill, only about 5 min walk

Not going for Child Care is she?

Originally posted by FetishFairy

My daughter is going to an open day at Sheaf Training tomorrow

Sorry dont know directions but Sheaf training as in college courses for secondary school kids that aren't doing so well in school?

my brothers being doing that for the last year, this year they've got him doing two days out of school... what courses she doing? I'm guessing most likely not the stuff my bro has which so far has included brick laying and some computing and mechanic and sign writing

Thanks everyone for the directions!!

She is in yr 11 and leaves next year. We're just keeping options open at the moment as it pays to look at as many places/options as possible.

Sheaf Training isn't just for kids who drop out of school/aren't doing so well. They offer lots of post 16 options such as NVQ's etc and lots of work based training.

Chloe, why do you ask about childcare? Is there some problem with whats offered there re: childcare courses? Just curious!!

Thanks again everyone.

Nah, the people I work with who are doing the Sheaf childcare course (NVQs) seem to be on them for years, where as, if you're prepared to work hard for 2 years you might as well go down to Castle college and do the diploma. Two years of study and a test at the end, if you pass you're qualified, fail try again. Makes more sense to me

We we went yesterday and it seemed pretty ok, and yes, she is interested in childcare!! She liked the feel of the place and the people and seems pretty keen to go there. We were told the average time for the NVQ is between 14 and 17 months, depending on how the individual student works, how much effort they put in etc.

I did ask a few questions that they couldn't answer such as drop out percentages and pass rates but they couldn't tell me. I wanted to be able to compare with Sheffield College.

She is applying for both so we will wait and see.

I think Sheaf Training is a good opportunity for kids who are less academic. It gives them a real chance to get the same qualification through work based tarining as it does college. Some kids learn better in a different environment.

I have to defend Sheaf Training here.... The company I work for has lots of students on placements at worksites doing NVQ's some in catering & some in care. First of all the students who are on placements by no means are the ones who are not doing so well at school. I have had alot of dealings with them & can honestly say majority of the students are great & really want to get on.

Certainly what I have found is that although college may get you through the NVQ process quicker there is not as much "on site" work usually only one day a week, where as Sheaf students work 4 days on placement & 1 day training which I think is more of a learning process.

Although I can't speak for child care Fairy I can say that certainly at our company many of the students who have been on placements have been offered work and are doing really well. As someone who interviews on a regular basis I know which one I would go for... A student who knows the job they are applying for as they have been on site observing & assisting with that job or someone who has just been to college with hardly any experience just a qualification. Sometimes "hands on" works better I think.

It's 2 or 3 days placement at Castle college. Plus, you get to go to a LEA nursery, Primary School and a Private nursery, then you choose which one for the last placement. It's excellent. i wasn't by any means pulling down the NVQ at Sheaf, but a lot of the students I work with think because they work at their own speed, they can slack a bit and they end up leaving it till the last minute! They're also overworked and underpaid! Personally, I think someone who's just left school, doing 9-3 (ish) hours is taking a big jump to 8-6 shifts in a completely different atmosphere. I was only saying my views.

Chloe, if you do your training via Sheffield College, do you get paid whilst working on your placement at the nursery/school? I am curious because the trainees at Sheaf get £50 per week training allowance plus travel expenses.

I'm pleased to read everyones views and experiences and it really does help us to get a better idea what options there are and what they can offer.

Thanks everyone :thumbsup: