What city is the largest Sheffield or Leeds?

Where are you getting your information from ?

What facts do you have to back up any figures you claim ?

The size of a city is not based on what facilities it has or hasn't got and how good it is to live there, it i sbased on geography and population. By the way Dronfied is included in the Sheffield population figures.

The Sheffield figure you quote is for the area covered by the city council:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/pyramids/pages/00cg.asp

It does not include Dronfield which is in the East Midlands region in these figures rather than the Yorkshire and Humber region (despite being part of Sheffield in any common sense way of counting):

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/pyramids/pages/17uj.asp

Chapeltown is an outlying settlement included in Sheffield's council boundary but further away to Sheffield than Morley is to Leeds. Comparing like for like as you say, and if you include Rotherham in Sheffield's figures, then Bradford and Wakefield should be included in Leeds'.

The fact is Rotherham is an independent council, whereby Chapeltown and Morley are outlying areas served by Sheffield City Council and Leeds City Council respectively.

The Sheffield figure you quote is for the area covered by the city council:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/pyramids/pages/00cg.asp

It does not include Dronfield which is in the East Midlands region in these figures rather than the Yorkshire and Humber region (despite being part of Sheffield in any common sense way of counting):

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/pyramids/pages/17uj.asp

Thanks for the links. The fact still remains that in the most common terms of recording figures and statistics that Leeds is the 3rd largest and Sheffield the 4th.

Even BT recognise this with the dialing codes

Leeds 0113 for 3rd

Sheffield 0114 for 4th

etc.

When it comes to population, different means of measuring a city's size produces different results......

I was ridiculed for saying the above on an earlier post.

The truth is there are many different ways to measure a population of a town or city. Whether it be the conurbation, the population of the borough, the population of the city, or the district population......people will invariably come up with different results.

I'm fortunate enough that in my job I have the opportunity to travel around the UK, and the true test of being able to adjudge the weight of a city is by being in the city itself. Anybody, unless they are bias to the extreme, will recognise that Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, London, and Liverpool are huge cities and a lot bigger than Sheffield....but they'll also see that Sheffield is far more pleasant, friendly, and pleasing to the eye. I don't want Sheffield to be like Leeds, or Manchester....a concrete jungle. Sheffield is unique in the fact that it embraces the vibrancy and the tranquillity........does anyone really want to lose that?

Been googling this debate since i posted. Manchester looks like its the one that suffers here as it always appears way down the list because salford (defintely part of Manchester) isnt included for instance. Its not just part of manchester but almost touches the city centre and to not include it verges on farce. Obviously places like stockport are also part of the conurbation but including places like Rochdale or Bolton is definitely stretching it as they're definitely separate with unbuilt up areas in between. Whatever the case Manchester is clearly 2nd or maybe 3rd.

If we just go on administrative areas surely it throws up anomalies like Wakefield having a population of over 300,000 (the actual popuation of Wakefield city isnt much over 60,000) because it includes places miles away and completely separate and almost as big in its own right in the case of Castleford.

Been googling this debate since i posted. Manchester looks like its the one that suffers here as it always appears way down the list because salford (defintely part of Manchester) isnt included for instance. Its not just part of manchester but almost touches the city centre and to not include it verges on farce. Obviously places like stockport are also part of the conurbation but including places like Rochdale or Bolton is definitely stretching it as they're definitely separate with unbuilt up areas in between. Whatever the case Manchester is clearly 2nd or maybe 3rd.

If we just go on administrative areas surely it throws up anomalies like Wakefield having a population of over 300,000 (the actual popuation of Wakefield city isnt much over 60,000) because it includes places miles away and completely separate and almost as big in its own right in the case of Castleford.

Isn't Salford not classed as a city in it's own right?