The proposed Network Rail development at Woodhouse

I read your note on what is happening a Beighton Sidings.

You may well ask, it's a tragedy.

Network rail are are planning to build their National Engineering Centre, also being described as The New Woodhouse Junction.

Any one you ask will tell you woodhouse Junction is at woodhouse.Mention The New Woodhouse Junction to anyone,and they think it's going to be a new station,NOT this Factory Comlexe ,this planning application has been give this name in order to raise as few objections as possible.

This planning application is being quiteley ushered through its' public consultation period in the hope that objections will be kept to a minimum. It will have a huge impact on the valley between Woodhouse, Woodhouse Mill, Swallownest and Beighton,yet many of these areas have not been informed about what is going to be built in the valley.

The new estate in Swallownest, many of which are three storey homes, which over look Woodhouse washlands and the flood plane, are Rotherham residents, and it would appear know nothing about this huge factory complex 60 feet high and stretching from Beighton signal box {level crossing on Rotherham Road}to Soap House lane at Woodhouse, with at least seven chimneys and assorted air vents along a vast area of roof.

The access to the area will be off Rotherham Road, at the level crossing, which is causing a great deal of concern as Woodhouse Lane in Beighton is already a rat run for vehicles,wanting to avoid the compulsory left turn onto the by pass from Rotherham Road. The amount of traffic which will be generated by this two, possibly three shift operation will only add to the on going problems with buses and lorries using it as a short cut.

We had a public meeting last tuesday,Cllr Ian Saunders arranged it after much pressure from residents of woodhouse lane and the surrounding area,but it was a farce, Network rail and planning officers were present, but we had to endure a propagander exercise from Network Rail, and the plans showing how huge and how much this complexe will impact on our little valley were not.I passed a photo copy of a computer generated image around the assembled meeting and every one was shocked.

I had requested that Clive Betts arrange for Highways, Water Board and the Environment agencies have representatives available for comments and questions, but none were there.

The recent floods on Woodhouse Lane, one of which could most certainly have been avoided had Network Rail took heed of the weather forecast, has created a much different scenario to the one which is in the planning applications file, their flood risk assessment was undertaken in March, prior to the unprecedented rainfall which we are now experiencing. We need strong assurances that we will not become another Catcliffe.

I would like you to let the people of Sheffield and is neighbours, and also anyone who is interested in the Washlands and Beighton Marsh as a nature reserve, know about the Planning application,they must object,this area is GREEN BELT.

The Government allowed Network Rail to sell off sites in the area,Tinsey and Brinsworth, which this complex could have been built on without infringeing the planning laws or the Green Belt.

So why should Sheffield Council allow it to be built in this valley,which is part of the Green Corrider linking Rothervalley Country Park to the Shire Brook Valley.Anyone who walks in the park ,will have a clear veiw of its roof and chimneys,and the noise will carry over long distances.

This area prides its self on rising like a phonex from the ashes of the coalfields. So why should we once again be plunged back into an Industrial Site.

Network Rail is dangling a carrot of 160 jobs, but not telling the public the truth,these posts will be taken by personal being redeployed from plants which are going to be closed elsewhere in the country.

Nothing can be gained from this project, but a little piece of countryside on the edge of the River Rother could be lost forever.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and if you require further information on the plans; they are available on site at sheffield planning dept. Application reference number 07/02060/FUL, you can and must object to this happening ,ether by post or online at Sheffield.gov.uk/planning,even though it says the objection period is now closed I have been assured that all objections received up untill 12O clock on the day of the planning meeting will be taken note of.

Bloomen wonderful

I read your note on what is happening a Beighton Sidings.

You may well ask, it's a tragedy.

Network rail are are planning to build their National Engineering Centre, also being described as The New Woodhouse Junction

This planning application is being quiteley ushered through its' public consultation period in the hope that objections will be kept to a minimum. It will have a huge impact on the valley between Woodhouse, Woodhouse Mill, Swallownest and Beighton,yet many of these areas have not been informed about what is going to be built in the valley.

The new estate in Swallownest, many of which are three storey homes, which over look Woodhouse washlands and the flood plane, are Rotherham residents, and it would appear know nothing about this huge factory complex with at least seven chimneys and assorted air vents along a vast area of roof. It will spread from the level crossing at Beighton to Woodhouse station.

The access to the area will be off Rotherham Road, at the level crossing, which is causing a great deal of concern as Woodhouse Lane in Beighton is already a rat run for vehicles,wanting to avoid the compulsory left turn onto the by pass from Rotherham Road. The amount of traffic which will be generated by this two, possibly three shift operation will only add to the on going problems with buses and lorries using it as a short cut.

We had a public meeting last tuesday,Cllr Ian Saunders arranged it after much pressure from residents of woodhouse lane and the surrounding area,but it was a farce, Network rail and planning officers were present, but we had to endure a propagander exercise from Network Rail, and the plans showing how huge and how much this complexe will impact on our little valley were not.I passed a photo copy of a computer generated image around the assembled meeting and every one was shocked.

I had requested that Clive Betts arrange for Highways, Water Board and the Environment agencies have representatives available for comments and questions, but none were there.

The recent floods on Woodhouse Lane, one of which could most certainly have been avoided had Network Rail took heed of the weather forecast, has created a much different scenario to the one which is in the planning applications file, their flood risk assessment was undertaken in March, prior to the unprecedented rainfall which we are now experiencing. We need strong assurances that we will not become another Catcliffe.

I would like you to let the people of Sheffield and is neighbours, and also anyone who is interested in the Washlands and Beighton Marsh as a nature reserve, know about the meeting.

Network Rail is dangling a carrot of 160 jobs, but not telling the public the truth,these posts will be taken by personal being redeployed from plants which are going to be closed elsewhere in the country.

Nothing can be gained from this project, but a little piece of countryside on the edge of the River Rother could be

lost forever.

Should you wish to contact me please email or telephone on 01142 694112.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and if you require further information on the plans; they are available on site at sheffield planning dept. Application reference number 07/02060/FUL

Yours Sincerely

Sylvia Sellars

THIS IS VERY MUCH ON THE LINES OF NIMBY

I have lived in this area for all my life and watched many changes take place,some bad,like the loss of many jobs when the pits closed,and men not being able to find work.

This project will do the same in other areas York,Doncaster,and Derby will have job losses because depots will be closed and reduction workforces in ordered to stream line Network Rails costs.

This area has never had a Railway engineering back groung and for Network rail to say it will create 160 new jobs in the area is untrue.

I am not as you call me a NIMBY,I have a great concern for the enviroment, and the issues of green belt should concern us all,it allows not only animals to live peacefully in their world but gives all of us a chance to have space to live,without being surrounded by buildings what ever size they may be.

This is an excellent project for the area. Would you rather it be the current rundown area complete with a vandalised asbestos warehouse or a thriving engineering facility which will provide jobs both directly and indirectly.

As the previous poster noted this stinks of NIMBY (3 storey new build maybe?), and yes I am local also.

We have been complaining to Network Rail for years to have the shed removed ,they would not because they would lose any rights to build on the land under permitted rules 11&17,and for your imformation I donot live in one of the three storey houses,if I did I wouldn't know anything about this project as they are Rotherham,not Sheffield and as such have not been notified of the planning application.

Do you not feel we have suffered enough,if the shed was to be replaced with something of a simular size OK,but this complexe is as large as St Pancres Station,and I stress this area is GREEN BELT.

my wife was born and bred in beighton, the yards always been there and also the terrific view of the coke ovens before they blew them up.

the area of selection is brown field and not green belt(in the true sense),hence the development higher up towards Swallownest.

at least it'll take peoples mind off the 16 offices being built in the village hall, and the new additions to the miners welfare for community therapy.

i'm definitely a nimby, but i've got to put up with 5years of upheaval for a sodding canal to be reinstated along with the new houses they are building in readiness for the boom, so i have good reason.

5 years of upheaval for a sodding canal to be reinstated

Out of interest, what's happening with this, willman? Is it going back along the original route?

Out of interest, what's happening with this, willman? Is it going back along the original route?

its gonna be as close as possible, obviously ceratian bits will be missed 'cos houses are on top.but it will follow as much as possible,including digging bridge street up, it meanders behind the leisure centre(not to facilitate a cafe i'm sure) and then enters Rother Valley.

Upto 1950 there was a branch line nearby over to Birley Collery which ran through the Shirebrook Valley, the remains of bridge parapits are visible near Beighton tip and also at Coisley Hill.

rbrt

does anyone know if that is the line that would have gone over the big bridge in killamarsh?

two lines originally ran into killamarsh (well theres two bridges and remains, and also two "railway" houses.

one defo ran into beighton 'cos you can now walk it as part of the transpennine way.

Rotherham have got their own development up their sleeve in the same area:

http://www.yes-ltd.com/

http://www.yes-ltd.com/aerialviews.php

http://www.rido.org.uk/section.php?section=46

"Located on a 327-acre ex-coalfield site adjoining Rother Valley Country Park in Rotherham, Oak hopes to develop a state-of-the-art leisure and entertainment resort - forecast to be the biggest of its kind in Europe."

YES! aims to be Europe’s largest covered leisure development, and the outline planning permission issued by Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council represents a major step forward for the £350m regeneration project.

Rotherham have got their own development up their sleeve in the same area:

http://www.yes-ltd.com/

http://www.yes-ltd.com/aerialviews.php

http://www.rido.org.uk/section.php?section=46

"Located on a 327-acre ex-coalfield site adjoining Rother Valley Country Park in Rotherham, Oak hopes to develop a state-of-the-art leisure and entertainment resort - forecast to be the biggest of its kind in Europe."

YES! aims to be Europe’s largest covered leisure development, and the outline planning permission issued by Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council represents a major step forward for the £350m regeneration project.

Yes if you believe the hype. In reality though, the leisure aspects will fail to materialise becuase of commercial pressures and therefore the developers will successfully argue for the leisure bits to be replaced with retail units. You read it here first.