REX Cinema

Fowler

Originally posted by Fowler

Just what it was like when it was open. Don't really know much about it except for that picture of it in the Noahs ark.

when i used to go in the mid-late 70's it was quite a dump but apparently it was quite posh in its hey day....it was 25p to get in and it was massive inside compared to todays smaller places..todays places have 6-7 different screens, the rex only had 1,in 1975 it was in the brink of closing down and then came jaws,it was sold out for 7 weeks solid which kept it going..then came saturday night fever and grease which also brought in much needed cash.....but it was inevatable the end was near.....how do i know all this......well the place was owned by two old ladies that lived on hurlfield road,next door to the dentists..i was their paper lad and often chatted with them..i always got a good tip at chrimbo:) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

I used to go to the Rex as little kid in the early 80's.I remember seeing For your eyes only, The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the lost ark, Superman 2 & ET there.

I think it closed about 1983/1984 & and I remember seeing it been knocked down.

Memories of the Rex:-

It was our local cinema as we lived on Audrey Road . Saw ,"The Wizard of Oz there",round about 1947. The Witch was a bit scary for young kids.

The next nearest cinema was the Manor.Usually I think we used to go every week to one or the other.

We left that area in 1949 and from then on it was the Star on Ecclesall Road and the "Gods" in the Hippodrome.Anyone remember that old geezer, the attendant in the Hippodrome Gods ? And kids slinging stuff over the balcony ? Had my first smoke in there I think---aged 10

I lived at Hackenthorpe at the time, but I used to take my little brother to The Rex on Saturdays in the early sixties.

I can also remember going to see 'Summer Holiday' in (I think), 1962).

We once won the 'matinee raffle' and acquired some tickets to see 'Doctor Who and the Daleks' at The Rex.

• 1 month later...

I grew up in Intake and I spent a great deal of my time in the Rex Cinema.My Mum and Dad used to go in the Intake Sports Club which was opposite.I used to see all the fims even sometmes the AA rated even when i was under 14 years of age i think they needed the revenue.The balcony was brill you could go up to the seats in the balcony if you had the money.

Saturday Afternoon was the kids show Cartoon (mighty Mouse)

Childrens film foundatin film and ice cream from the usherette in the middle.The raffle was always the number on your ticket.

Brill