Neepsend lane - interested in it's history.

One thing I would never have associated with the area would've been trees. ( And the mention of a turntable in the old shed has got me puzzled. My grandfather took me around there way back in the 30's, I was about 4 or 5 years old at the time, and I once had a nose around in later years when I worked on the Railway, never do I remember a table.)

I'm not saying in any way there wasn't one, I just cant remember. It was like a straight shed with about four roads.

I recall there was a quarry. You could look down into it from Parkwood, very steep, is that where the skiing centre is? I cant think what they were quarrying. The rock was an browny-orange color. They did blasting with explosives and all. Us pre-ASBO's went down into the quarry a couple of times, looking for sticks of dynamite I suppose.

How can I get a copy of that Fairbanks 1795 map?

Perhaps it was the remnants of this i saw,

Neepsend engine shed,

Over the years the size of the turntable was increased from the original at around 32 feet diameter, to 43ft 6ins in the late 1870's, ending with one of 59ft 10ins diameter.

source,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neepsend_engine_shed

My Dad, Peter Bartholomew grew up on Hicks Rd in the late 30's/40's/

In the last few months at school, Burngreave that is, an activity was introduced into the curriculum called Social Studies. This entailed trips to various steel firms, the GPO, sewage works, etc; and on one occasion we visited Dixons, a silver smelters at Hillfoot bridge.

Anybody remember them? I have a distinct memory of watching silver being poured into ingots and seeing a replica of the Blue Riband Trophy in a glass case. Apparently it had been made at Dixons, the original, I presume, was in some shipping line's vault.

Does anybody remember the beer off or off licence i know my nan nan used to call it a beeroff. it sold sweets, drinks a bit of everything i think. it was run by margaret fearnehough and she supplied all the rationing?

I seem to remember, when we were kids, having 'brick wars' on Parkwood. That is chucking bricks at each other, one side being 'Woodies' and the other being 'Springers'. The 'Springers' being from Neepsend and Parkwood Springs, the 'Woodies' being from anywhere south of Rutland Road, complicated these territorial claims.

I've only just read this but it brought a smile to my face, I was hit by "friendly fire" in one of these battles. I was in unarmed combat with a Parkie lad and one of my mates decided I might need some help, my head was split by an incoming half brick, blood everywhere !

After coming back to my senses my mates and I set off down Douglas Rd heading for the Infirmary. Halfway down was a young lady wiith a baby in her arms, on seeing all the blood she ushered me into her home and bathed the wound with warm water and TCP, it must have been about an hour until it stopped bleeding.

That was 50 yrs ago and I remain very grateful to that lady, I can't imagine that happening nowadays somehow ! :):)

i was born at 27 platt street in 1942

Hey up Retep do you remember Whitey and Mrs having the corner shop a little further up from your photo,sometime in the late 70s I think.:confused::hihi::hihi:

Yes he was only short of the delivery bike, or with his mechanical knowledge a mobo scooter.

My grandparents used to live in Hoyland Road,near the top,opposite the high walls for the coal.I used to attend Hillfoot School.My auntie used to take me up the steps at top of Farfield Road,over the railway bridge,to a playground "up the wood" with swings,see-saw etc.On the way back we'd stop in the shop at the top of Farfield Road to buy sweets or something.I'd be around 5 or 6 years old I guess.(Tears in eyes)My granddad used to work at Hallamshire Steel and my auntie and I used to meet him outside when his shift finished and walk back along Neepsend Lane,back to Hoyland Road.(More tears).

I've only just read this but it brought a smile to my face, I was hit by "friendly fire" in one of these battles. I was in unarmed combat with a Parkie lad and one of my mates decided I might need some help, my head was split by an incoming half brick, blood everywhere !

After coming back to my senses my mates and I set off down Douglas Rd heading for the Infirmary. Halfway down was a young lady wiith a baby in her arms, on seeing all the blood she ushered me into her home and bathed the wound with warm water and TCP, it must have been about an hour until it stopped bleeding.

That was 50 yrs ago and I remain very grateful to that lady, I can't imagine that happening nowadays somehow ! :):)

I've only just come across your post. I'm pleased to know that there are still some 'Woodys' around having survived those old battles. They all seemingly ended in chaos. I remember more than once somebody running into a bunch of 'Springers' and haring down Woodside Lane or Hayward Road shouting about a possible 'war', then running up Woodfold and finding nothing happening at all. I remember some of us hauling a-I think it was a tractor tyre- up to the crest of Parkwood and launching it down the other side. Miraculously it stayed upright and nearly went thro' the greengrocers on the road at the bottom. Dare I say 'Happy Days'?

My Dad, Peter Bartholomew grew up on Hicks Rd in the late 30's/40's/

Iknew Pete and his brother I lived inHobson Ave all the kids on the river side went to burton st most of the kids on your dads side went to hiilfoot or philydelphia my name is dave brumpton nearly 74 happy days among the muck

The shop at the bottom of Cook St was definitely Olive Dungworth in the early fifties.

Trams did run along Neepsend Lane (from town to Hillsborough via Hillfoot Bridge) and back.

The tram to town ran down Neepsend Lane over the junction with Rutland Rd. carrying on along Neepsend Lane, past the bottom of Harvest Lane and then past the Corporation St. baths, Nursery St. then turned right over Lady's Bridge and up to Fitzalan Square.

When I moved to a "posh" school at age 11 (still living on Manners St. Neepsend) in 1958, I caught the tram to town each school day, across the road from the Gardeners Rest, and quite near the junction of Rutland Rd. and Neepsend Lane.

The tram terminated in Fitzalan Square and then I caught another tram from High St. to Millhouses to get to school ( every single day- unaccompanied).

There was another pub opposite the Gardeners, nicknamed "the Stone House", whose real name was The Crown (I think!)

I was involved in the stone throwing wars between the "Woodies" and the "Springies" and I also fetched coke (fuel not white powder) from the "Gas House" on Neepsend Lane.

My dad worked at Hallamshire Steel and File and still worked there after all the houses on Manners St. were demolished (c. 1960) and we moved to Hunters Bar (v. upmarket!)

He was made redundant in 1974.